PDA

View Full Version : Almost cried at Rocklers today

Xray
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Went to Rocklers today to pick up some more exotic wood planks. Not exactly local, about a 40 mile round trip.
Was looking for some Padauk but they didn't have any, so I picked up this beauty. 10ft plank of Purpleheart, 11"x3/4, for about $70. [I had them cut it in half since I was driving a car].

Manager says "Sheesh, you should have came here on Saturday, we had all our exotic planks half off that day only". I was like, "OMG, why didn't you tell me??"
He said they didn't give any notice or advertise it at all, those lucky enough to stroll in on that day looking for some exotic lumber got one helluva deal.
1/2 off, I would have walked out with a plank of zebrawood, bloodwood, wenge, and possible some black Mahogany.

Ended up with a man sized sliver from the purpleheart, a nice thick inch long, wedge shaped chunk. Had my daughter get it with razor & tweezers, took about half an hour as it kept breaking off as she pulled.

james mcgrew
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
that is some pretty wood, i did a carving of our church in it !!

Xray
09-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing that church carving before I even got my machine, either on vectrics site or cnczone.
PH is ideal for 3D ,,, Shapes very well, and very dense, solid wood with an eye catching patina.