PDA

View Full Version : HSD 1.7 KW spindle on a Stinger 1

Rockford
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Does anyone happen to a picture of the HSD 1.7 KW spindle installed?

Charlie_L
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Does anyone happen to a picture of the HSD 1.7 KW spindle installed?
This is mounted on a Stinger II.

Rockford
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks! How do you like it? How is the noise compared to a PC router? How about the power? What materials do you cut with it? Sorry for all the questions

Charlie_L
01-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks! How do you like it? How is the noise compared to a PC router? How about the power? What materials do you cut with it? Sorry for all the questions

I like it a lot. You should know that woodworking is my hobby so I am not using it everyday. I do have experience with the PC from a friends CNC. He recently changed to this same spindle. Without sound data to compare my opinion is that it is much quieter. Unless I am running at max rpm, the most noise comes from the shop vac collecting the dust. At high speed those two sources are about equal.

Power - I have been able to trip the current overload in the frequency drive. However, that was only when I made a mistake like plunging a 1-1/2 inch surfacing bit about 1/2 inch down into oak during a high speed move. I had my Z set wrong at the time. If you look at the torque curves for this spindle you will see a flat torque curve showing constant torque at all RPM's.

Speed control - I really like having the dial on the control panel for the frequency drive so I can tweak the spindle speed to get the cutting speed correct.

Almost all of my cutting is hardwoods used for furniture or signs, plaques, etc.

Search for other comments from others regarding the spindle sound levels.

Rockford
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the info. I should have my Stinger 1 in about 4 weeks.

anix396
01-23-2013, 07:43 AM
My SIII has the same spindle and I agree with Charlie. I do not have any PC's but have quite a few 2HP Craftsman and the spndle is a lot quiter. I think you will like it.

james mcgrew
01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
A spindle is far quieter than a router,

once the bit enters the material then the material and the bit become in charge of sound production !

tom klass
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm glad Joey recommended the spindle to me when I got my stinger I, much quiter then a router. My shop is in the basement and the one job ran for 12 hours straight with no complaints from the better half about noise. Go with the spindle you'll kick yourself in the backside later, it's worth the cost of the upgrade[stinger]

turnerwinfield
08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I have a HSD spindle router that I got my Stinger 1 in 2010.

I just had a long conversation with a guy at Precise Bits
http://precisebits.com

They deal with a lot of small bits for CNC work and have a good set of tutorials about finding a sweet spot for feed rates,bits and materials.
http://precisebits.com/tutorials.htm

Also, he said that HSD spindle routers are make to run hot. You should let it run a bit before your first cut of the day. The lubrication oil needs to warm up in the bearing before you start cutting. The outside casing should be hot to the touch.

JD69
08-21-2013, 10:34 PM
The outside casing should be hot to the touch.

Turner I have had mine for a year and a half and run files as long as 4-5 hours and have never had mine hot to the touch. Even in a hot garage this year it never got above 100 degrees (measured with an infra red temperature measuring device) after long runs.

I am interested in comments by other users of the HSD. Maybe it is because mine is the 'mini' version. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the next size up. Although this one has done everything I have tried so far. Good option.

JD

Bruce Page
08-21-2013, 10:44 PM
So far, my longest run has been about 5 hours. My 1.7 got warm but not hot.

mikeacg
08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Longest I ran mine was a little over 8 hours and it never got hot...

Mike[stinger]

Speedy
08-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Mine gets warm but it does not sweat like me.

I too have plunged a bit, 1.25" bowl bit straight down through
a slab of cherry and stalled my spindle.
Was dinking around trying to mill a raw slab by just running the
machine manually by hitting the X and Y jogging buttons instead of doing a program.
I hit the Z instead and plunged it in 2" before it stalled.
Lucky it was at the edge of the board.
Reset it and away we go.

Yes it's very quite compared to a router too.

Larry

Brendt
05-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Does anybody running the 1.7 spindle wish they had more power? Reason I ask is that the 3.0 is only $400 more. It appears that 1.7 spindles in the stinger II's are far more popular that the 3.0

Speedy
05-10-2014, 01:08 AM
For me it was $$$
Sure, I'd like a 3kw but at the time I was just happy about getting a machine
Like to have a Cobra for just a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ more.

A spindle baby!!!!!
That was a thousand more then a router that my bride thought I should be spending.....
Ya got a $400 extra to spend Gotta love ya Brother.
Make sure you save some money for bits

I'm happy with my 1.7kw but I'm still in diapers.
Don't know the limits of my machine but hope to learn next week.

Brendt
05-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't say I have extra money to spend by any means Speedy! I was just comparing the two and noticed in the "grand scheme of things that there was not a huge difference in price between the two spindles especially when you compare the overall cost of the machine. The spindle has some significant advantages over the router I know that much.

I have a PC 7518 in my router table at home and am familiar with the capabilities of the router. Since a router and a spindle are rated differently HP wise I was trying to figure out how the 1.7 stacks up power wise to the Porter Cable. If it is more powerful, which I think it may be, I will be plenty of power for what I am planning on doing.

Gary Campbell
05-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Brendt...
The R & D crew at CAMaster has done some "real world" testing of just that at the factory. There were no meters or engineers. We took a half inch down spiral bit and plunged it a half inch deep into MDF and sent it 4 feet in the Y. We kept increasing the feed rate until the router/spindle stalled. We tried various rpm settings on both. We compared the 1.0Kw HSD to a 3.25hp Porter Cable. And it was fun!! [fantastic]

Here is what we found:

Router @ 21,000 (max) Spindle @ 18,000 (max) Spindle wins by a little (called a tie)
Router @ 19,000 Spindle @ 18,000 Spindle wins by 20%
Router @ 16,000 Spindle @ 16,000 Spindle wins by 30%
Router @ 13,000 Spindle @ 13,000 Spindle Wins by 50%
Router @ 10,000 Spindle @ 10,000 Spindle wins by almost double

It is obvious that the routers loose serious power as the rpm is reduced. But we all should know that.

The 1.7Kw HSD has at least 1.5 the power of the 1.0. I can also tell you that the 3.0Kw has triple the power of the 1.0Kw. I personally have tested the 3Kw with a 3/8 compression full depth in PF plywood @ 18,000 rpm (on single phase). At somewhere between 925 and 950 ipm the spindle stalls and the bit breaks.

Running the same test with a 3.9Kw ATC (on 3phase) the machine (other brand) would not develop enough torque to stall the spindle.

Hope this helps, as those are the fun days of our job!!! [lol]

MarkZ
05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Gary,

I'd be real interested in the torque curve you saw. I know it's a 'random' measurement but even relative values would say something.