No announcement yet.

Chatter in Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the chatter any better or worse on one side of the table vs. the other?

To clarify: Chatter is visible when cutting in the Y (long) direction, but not visible when cutting in X (short) direction?

Do you have a dial indicator?
    Gary Campbell
    Servo Control Upgrades
    GCnC411@gmail.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Gary,Not sure about the first part of your question yet.Don't have a dial indicator but I will buy one ASAP (Any recommendations ) .chatter is showing up in the y (long). traveling down the table. Thanks
      Camhead FAN

Comment

Any indicator with a magnetic base will do just fine.

Usually when chatter is evident cutting in the Y, backlash in the X is the cause.

The attached doc is one that I wrote when I worked for another OEM, the color is different, but the principle is the same.
        Attached Files
        Gary Campbell
        Servo Control Upgrades
        GCnC411@gmail.com

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Gary,
          I dont think this is the backlash in X scenario. Both my router, and what is described here by Hallex is all in the Y. You can feel it vibrating as it is just transporting. The severity of vibration changes in different positions along the Y axis. Mine is the worst from about Y12 to Y36. In that range, you can sometimes feel the floor vibrating. The severity of chatter varies depending where on the Y axis it is being machined.
          Jeff
          www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC
          10HP spindle, 20HP vacuum

Comment

Jeff...
            Does the chatter present with a vertical component rather than lateral?

If so, and with what you describe hearing while performing a rapid move is accurate, then the solution is too complicated for a forum based "long distance "guess". I suggest that you work with tech support, they will get you a solution, but it will not be a 5 minute diagnostic process.
            Gary Campbell
            Servo Control Upgrades
            GCnC411@gmail.com

Comment

Moving to Owner forum
              James McGrew
              CAMaster ATC 508
              The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
              https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Jeff, could you post a video of what is happening with your MDF. I will do the same. if we can figure this thing out I believe it will benefit all .Talked to Michel in support today he asked me to do this. He seems puzzled at this point also . I am on install till Thursday
                Camhead FAN

Comment

I know this is an old post but I would really love to hear the outcome of this situation if at all possible. I am currently having the same issue with chatter in the y direction and severe table and gantry vibration. Also what is the spur gear that is being referred to? The drive gear attached to the shaft of the planetary gear?

Comment

Camaster recommended rebuilding the drives. We ended up taking them apart ourselves and just had to replace the spur gears (also called pinion gears, the ones that interact with the rack from the "rack and pinion").

I took apart the drives, replaced the spur gears, flattened/deburred/greased the slide plates, inspected bearings, etc. Basically cleaned the drive gearing, and replaced/cleaned/lubed worn parts, and put it back together. All was good after the rebuild.

We now take some wax and run it down the rack fairly frequently to use as a bit of lubrication between the rack and pinion. Hoping this will extend the life of the gear.
                    Jeff
                    www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

Thank you for the response. I will give this a shot. By chance have you ran any raised panel mdf doors? My issue is very pronounced on the cove and the bead profile of those.

Comment

We dont do any raised panel stuff, but the edge quality on all cuts is fine now, so I would suspect i would have no trouble.

Gears, bearings, shafts, belts. Take the drives apart and make sure all is good and replace whatever is worn. I suspect your machine will run like new after you do that.
                        Jeff
                        www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

Working...
                        X