Chatter in Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chatter in Y

We have just started making MDF doors on our Cobra 510 ATC. We notice chatter on the profile cuts in the Y direction. X direction cuts are perfect.

As the gantry moves along the Yaxis, you can feel the chatter. Belts seem tight. Any insight on what I can look for to fix this?
    Jeff
    www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC
    10HP spindle, 20HP vacuum

Milzie...
    Usually chatter when moving in the Y direction is a result of backlash in the X transmission. This assumes that the Y axis moves freely. Check the X trans belt tension and make sure that the slideplate moves freely. In fact it may be a good time to check and lube them all.

If you are not sure how to do this, give CAMaster Tech Support a call.
    Gary Campbell
    Servo Control Upgrades
    GCnC411@gmail.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

I did read that elsewhere in the forum. X seems tight.

You can actually feel it in the gantry as its moving, even when just shuttling without cutting or without and load. The chatter seems to match the pitch in the rack and pinion.
      Jeff
      www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

I can feel and see that in mine as well. 5x10 cobra. Single servo and rack under the table.
        Best,
        Nick
        The E & I Company
        @nbuk_eico

Comment

Just played with mine. Set screw holding the gear on the shaft was a little loose. Tightened it up and it appears the looseness is gone. Will have to wait till I run some more MDF doors to see if its fixed.
          Jeff
          www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

More info

Having the same issue in MDF doors . I tightened all belts . cuts perfect in X
            But my Y is doing the same thing . Please anymore advice guys . talked to tech support last week . He said something was loose in X . But you can feel vibration in Y travel with no load ?
            Camhead FAN

Comment

Still have the same problem. No fix that I know of.
              Jeff
              www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

Jeff, David...
                Have either of you tried replacing the spur gears? If you do, replace all 3
                Gary Campbell
                Servo Control Upgrades
                GCnC411@gmail.com

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Took the transmission covers off and noticed a lot of play (rocking) in the slide plates. the set screws had backed out alowing a lot of deflection in the trans pulley.so I cleaned slide plates and greased tightened up the set screws and things seem to be a lot better. I will report back after we get back to cutting on Monday. Jeff ,Gary THANK you for your responses I ordered spur gears today
                  Camhead FAN

Comment

Let me know how you make out with the spur gears.

Like you, I had stuff apart, tightened some stuff, lubed the slide plates, etc and nothing...still chatter. Replacing the bearings, gears and/or rack is about all thats left.
                    Jeff
                    www.themillsgroup.ca

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC

Comment

David,

Was it the x or y that you worked on? I'm trying to understand which one causes the y direction variations.
                      Charlie L
                      Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                      WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Charlie...
                        Maybe I can help. The answer is both, but.....

Lets put up a scenario where you are cutting a 12 by 24 rectangle. 12 in X and 24 in Y. IF there is chatter when cutting in the Y (along the 24" sides) the lash is usually in the X. This is because of the X axis' inability to hold the bit in one position. This will be the answer about 95% of the time.

In a few rarer cases, and only when there are worn spur gears or a loose setscrew, the Y will not move smoothly. This will cause a minor accel/decel that forces the bit to move laterally causing the scalloped edge.

Both can be found with a dial indicator or even a firm push/pull of the axis while watching the transmission components.
                        Gary Campbell
                        Servo Control Upgrades
                        GCnC411@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Gary, this helps.
                          Does the vibration of the gantry when moving in the y directions while cutting also give us specific clues as to where we should start looking?
                          Charlie L
                          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Sure, in this order:
                            Drop out motors and trans, make sure linear motion is smooth (Lube)
                            Assuming all bearings are good, belts and set screws are tight, worn spur gears are all that is left.
                            Gary Campbell
                            Servo Control Upgrades
                            GCnC411@gmail.com

Comment

Dropped transmissions in X and Y .Changed all spur gears .lubed everything Still chatter in Y none at all in X .. What's next?...
                              Camhead FAN

Comment

Working...
                              X