Cobra CA-408 Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cobra CA-408 Electrical

Hello. I am a new owner of a 2012 Cobra CA-408 three phase machine. I have done search after search to see what others have done to use the machine on a single phase and have seen where others have successfully done it but I am needing more specifics (hopefully pictures since I am slow).

I am Active duty Navy with 36 years of service and will be retiring soon so I am looking to start C&C work. Unfortunately my 3000 sf shop is in an area where the power company does not currently have 3 phase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for any user manuals for the unit as well.

Thanks in advance
    James Bosley
    Jacksonville FL
    Last edited by jcbosley@mail.com; 01-06-2023, 10:20 AM.

Hi James, thanks for your service fellow Navy guy here myself. Best thing to do for three phase is a static phase converter such as Phase Perfect get a large unit say 15HP. Very simple to wire up 2 hots + ground in the the converter generates the third leg so you have three hots out + ground. In my case a 15HP converter uses a 120 amp main and outputs 60amps, standby power loss is 70watts and you can turn it off whenever you want.

Comment

Thanks for your service as well.

So do you have an exact model number? Looks like lots of options and they cost nearly $5000.

Comment

I attached the spec for the converter I used for my Cobra 510 w/ ATC, and it's worked well for going on 2 years now.
        • It was $5791 for furnish and install (should be cheaper but this included labor for wiring several other things in my shop)
        • If the previous owner used a phase converter, you should be fine and it might be different for the 2012 model, but I had to have my electrician switch (2) wires in the control cabinet to handle "dirty 3-phase". I wish I could give you more information than that, and support should be able to help you out if you mention using a phase converter, but if you install and your servo's still won't turn on, I hope this saves you a few days of head-scratching.
        • I'm sure you have more common sense than me, but don't mount it where you're going to have lots of debris - I did and ended up building the attached enclosure.
        • Also, I wish I would have wired it from above or even better had a sleeve in the concrete to come in from below (air compressor hose would be nice too) to avoid a trip hazard, which you can also see in the attached.
        Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        SS
        Cobra 510 ATC | WINCNC | Fusion

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have the parts on order.

Comment

So I got everything up and running. I appreciate the help.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X