Help setting Machine Z Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Help setting Machine Z Zero

I just received my machine this week - Cobra 510 with ATC using the Compass software. I worked with DJ for a couple of hours yesterday and we found that the Machine Z Zero was off. He got it set and we continued working through some issues (more orientation on Monday).

However, I went in this morning to play and the Machine Z Zero had gotten messed up again - probably during the end of our call as we tried to set some Work zeros.

Unfortunately, I don't remember how he set the Machine Z Zero - I think it was G-code. Some research shows maybe a G92 Z0 ??

Thanks in advance - would like to do more before Monday....

I have an older Cobra elite using win cnc . I am not familiar with compass , however is there a calibrate switch option on your control screen?
    2018 Cobra Elite ATC
    2 Becker VTLF 2.250 vacuum pumps
    Vcarve Pro

Comment

Yes, there is a calibrate option, but I don't think that is part of what I am trying to do. I have used it, in fact, without luck, but I could be using it wrong, too.

On my screen I have a Machine and a Work Tab with X, Y, Z values on each. The Machine Z Zero should be about 1/2" lower than the max height of Z (this is what we set it at yesterday). Right now, the Z Zero height is about 1" about the table surface.

Comment

FYI - that machine zero that I was trying to set is also known as an Absolute Zero. This can only be set if you have the technician password for the compass software.

We also found a bug in the system where when the machine is restarted, the absolute zero for the Z-axis is resetting. Temp solution is to make sure that the Z is parked at "0" when shutting the machine off.

Comment

Thank you for updating . What is the purpose of an Absolute zero ?
          2018 Cobra Elite ATC
          2 Becker VTLF 2.250 vacuum pumps
          Vcarve Pro

Comment

The absolute settings are basically permanent settings for X, Y, Z that describe the lower left corner and upper most Z height. These values are fixed and stored with the machine. This is especially important for things like the tool holder locations, where the machine need to know where each tool holder is regardless of the surface or work piece position or height. For instance, the absolute Z height is set to Zero at its highest point. Then, the tool holder heights are measured and stored relative to that position - e.g. T1 Z = -6.9337

Comment

Also and once known as "Machine Home" AKA Initialize (Camaster) and then Job Home or where you are working from

I have always saved the "Absolute home / Initialize home" in my saved positions as well (WINcnc)
              James McGrew
              CAMaster ATC 508
              The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
              https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Working...
              X