Rack and Pinion Lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rack and Pinion Lube

What are you guys using to lube the helical rack and pinion gears? The Stinger owners manual says to use candle wax which I have been doing. Is this sufficient lubrication?
    Stinger II SR44 with servos
    Recoil Prep
    3KW spindle
    7 Watt Laser
    Pro Option Pack
    Hand Held Keypad
    T-Slot Table with Vacuum Prep.
    Aspire 10.5
    WinCnc

Been waxing mine 9 years , we do take a heat gun and a angled pich to make sure they are clean, if it packs for any reason (rare but does happen) you will hear it jump,, Bearings start clicking when the lube is drying
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

We used paraffin wax for years BUT, since we cut plastics and rubber, we would have jams in the rack for chips being packed in the teeth.

We've since changed to another method that works flawlessly:
      - We stopped apply the wax but instead clean the rack and pinion before each run. The picture shows how we do it.
      - We use a SS brush in an extension mounted in a drill. We walk the brush down the rack with the drill running on low speed. Removes 98% of all the debris packed in the rack. We use 2 diameters of brush, a small one to get up near the frame and a big one that wipes the entire length. We then go back with a flashlight and inspect. We use the handheld brush to get areas that were missed and the pinion. You jog the machine a few times to get to the full circumference of the pinion.
      - Additionaly, I added deflectors over the rack to keep chips from falling in that area. I've had chip piles sitting so high the pinion was picking them up like a spoon.
      - Another tip is don't blow the surface off if the machine is moving. We use the space bar to stop movement between cuts. Then we blow the machine off. Otherwise chips will be swirling around the pinion which means they can get jammed in the rack.
      - We started doing this a year ago and haven't had a jam issue since. If you run plastic or rubber, you will be amazed at how much gets packed in the rack. A side benefit is that our edge finishes are so much better now since the rack runs without speed-bumps.
      You can get a cheap brush set with extension at Harbor Freight to try ($12).
      Attached Files
      John Stanley Stinger II 3'x4', FTC, Laser, 1.7 Kw HSD w/ AB 523 SVC drive, V Carve Pro 8, WinCNC

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant
        Clean
        With a stiff brush and spray on...it drys quickly and forms a dry wax film
        Pete Cyr
        CAMaster Stinger II SR-34 - 1.7KW - FTC
        Aspire, WINCNC

Comment

Thanks James for your description including the grit in the teeth of the rack. Cleaned mine up and now my Y runs smoothly again. No more wash boarding at higher speeds.
          Charlie L
          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Has anyone else used the Dupont Chain Saver or other lubricants on the rack and pinion gears?
            Stinger II SR44 with servos
            Recoil Prep
            3KW spindle
            7 Watt Laser
            Pro Option Pack
            Hand Held Keypad
            T-Slot Table with Vacuum Prep.
            Aspire 10.5
            WinCnc

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I'm using on the rack and pinion gears.
              Pete
              -
              2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
              Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
              Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
              VCarve Pro 10.5

Comment

Working...
              X