Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • New Machine - Tech Support

Hi Camheads,

We’re about to purchase a used Stinger 24. I called Camaster to see about getting a vacuum table and potentially 7w laser, and was told I’d have to call the tech department, but that in order for me to order parts I’d have to receive technical support (which costs $1500 when your asking for support on a used machine.)

However, the website lists:
    • Free Tech Support for the Life of the Machine
    • Free Remote Support Technician for the Life of the Machine

Has anybody else had to purchase this service?
    I was just a little surprised is all, considering I was trying to purchase additional accessories for the machine.

I appreciate any clarification, thanks!
    Dan

I'm pretty sure free tech support for life of the machine only applies to the original owner.
    Pete
    ----------
    2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
    Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
    Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
    VCarve Pro 11.0
    www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Hello Dan,
      I was at Camaster on Friday picking up my machine, someone was in their lobby talking about buying a used machine. The Camaster salesperson told them it was $1500.

I know it doesn't seem right to you but I run a business that offers support. The majority of all support for any business is within the first 120 days of purchase. For anything, house, car, software, tools, computers, - you just need more help when you are new to something. The longer you own the machine the less support. So it averages out and allows them to offer free lifetime support which is a huge benefit. But when you sell your machine that cycle of heavy support starts up again. So they charge the new customers as you are going to needs more support because the machine is new to you. Just my two cents, take it for what it is worth.
      Greg Dickinson
      S3 SR48, X3 package, vacuum table,4kw spindle, recoil ready
      Vcarve Pro 11, Wincnc
      Woodmizer 40 Sawmill, with Nyle Kiln
      Sawstop TS, Powermatic planner, Jointer, Drill Press
      Home shop build on our farm
      Easley, SC

Comment

Greg nailed it. The $1500 covers the cost associated with a new user to a machine.

That being said you can get help on 99% of the questions you have here.

Camaster uses a 7W JTech laser. They have spindle mount and well as magnetic mount options.
        https://jtechphotonics.com/?product=...-in-one-bundle
        You would also need a WinCNC update/upgrade.
        https://www.wincnc.net/
        Customer support at both places can tell you what you would need to get up and running. I've personally done that upgrade and it is pretty easy and straightforward.

Camaster uses Blackbox vacs on their smaller machines.
        https://blackboxvac.com/hurricane.html

Most of us here can walk you through plumbing it once you have it.
        4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
        Mister system
        Phenolic Vac table
        Hurricane Vac
        Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

This forum was started By Owners for Owners, This was done as i could not afford nor did I have the time to pay thousands beyond hard cost to learn and operate a CNC, back then I called learning CNC " Greek and Russian mixed Slang" sometimes even "Voo Doo". Camaster Owners are supported well here not perfect but pretty damn good. I like to say "We are not the Biggest Yet we stand second to no one"

Recently i have had some shit stirrers who decided to give advice without owning machines, This has no place here If anyone wonders why the heavy hand sometimes. it is to protect the integrity and LONG term use of this forum, for Owners By Owners.. We are here to teach the teachers and remember this, When we elevate Others, We elevate ourselves"
          James McGrew
          CAMaster ATC 508
          The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
          https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Pete, Greg, Logan, James….

I’m unbelievably appreciative of your comments, thank you so much. I’m not sure there’s a company that has such a strong forum anywhere else on the web.

Pete and Greg, 100% understand, and agree with, Camaster charging owners of used machine, when people purchase it, I realize it’s for a reason… must be some fantastic support.

Logan, thank you for giving me some insight into what can be done on a DIY budget.

James, I’ve taken a look at many of your comments lately, I’m blown away at the help share. Your work is also some of the finest woodworking I’ve ever seen. Thank you for clarifying the purpose of the page, that’s most important to me, for owners by owners!

Give Me 6 more days and I’ll be proud to have Camaster Owner next to my name!

thanks fellas, seriously
            Dan

Comment

Dan,
              This might help you as well. As I said I picked up my machine on a Friday, 3 day holiday weekend ahead of me. I had some issues - nothing wrong with the machine, just a lack of understanding of how to or when to do certain things. The first problem I posted on Monday, a holiday, and one of the members responded (on Labor Day). Fixed my issue. The second was with a 3rd party spoiler board program issue, again I search this form and found a ton of examples from others on how to solve the issues. Support was not opened anyway, nor would they have been able to help me with the 3rd party program. As Logan said, most things you can solve here as there are some really smart and experienced Camasters on this form that are willing to help. I personally am glad Jim and other police the site to keep it about owners helping owners. It has already saved my YKW.
              Greg
              Greg Dickinson
              S3 SR48, X3 package, vacuum table,4kw spindle, recoil ready
              Vcarve Pro 11, Wincnc
              Woodmizer 40 Sawmill, with Nyle Kiln
              Sawstop TS, Powermatic planner, Jointer, Drill Press
              Home shop build on our farm
              Easley, SC

Comment

CAMaster makes great CNC machines but this forum was a key factor in my decision to buy a Stinger 1.
                As others have already stated, there are some very smart and very experienced CAMaster owners on this forum and they are more than willing to help - even to the point of taking phone calls to discuss issues.
                It's also not uncommon to ask a question and have at least one answer within the hour so it's a very active forum too.
                If you are planning to upgrade your machine it's probably worth paying for support IMHO but you can learn a lot and also solve a lot of problems right here.
                Good luck!
                Pete
                ----------
                2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
                Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
                Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
                VCarve Pro 11.0
                www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

CAmaster does provide by the hour support. the 1500.00 is one time for training and extended support. this applys to machines purchased on the after market for the non original owner. the policy has been under review to correct yet the forum crash a few weeks ago and subsequent upgrades took precedent. you do have to ask when you call though
                  James McGrew
                  CAMaster ATC 508
                  The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
                  https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Working...
                  X