Pinion Gear Alignment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinion Gear Alignment Question

I'd like some expert opinions from owners on whether or not this pinion gear on my gantry's X axis looks right.
    It seems like it should be fully engaged.
    I mentioned this to Camaster support a few weeks after I got the machine running a year ago and they didn't think it was a problem but I'm wondering if I should adjust it down to mesh better and wear more evenly.
    BTW, like some other folks on the forum I use the Dupont Chain-Saver spray lube for the rack and pinions.

20210225_071136.jpg
    Pete
    ----------
    2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
    Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
    Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
    VCarve Pro 11.0
    www.gotoguysmarine.com

looks just like mine since 2012
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

It may or may not make a difference but common sense would suggest that full engagement would be preferred. I looked at my 2013 Stinger and it was setup with full engagement.

JMO
      Bruce Page
      Retired Hobbyist
      2013 Stinger 1 SR23
      FTC
      Laser Pointer
      HSD 1.7kw Spindle
      KRS USB Keypad
      Mick Martin Table
      Aspire 10.512, WinCNC
      Chips-a-flyin
      brucep128@gmail.com

Comment

Will it work.... yes. Is it right.... no. It should be 100% aligned. Before you just move the pinion gear out, check the shaft length going into the pinion gear. A short shaft will cause the pinion gear to wobble which would be worse than the situation you have there. If you are not a heavy user, may be best just to leave it. Another way to look at it is you have 1/3 not engaged which will result in 1/3 more wear. I just checked my 2015 Stinger and it is 100% engaged.
        Last edited by hefty; 01-10-2022, 07:21 PM.
        John Stanley Stinger II 3'x4', FTC, Laser, 1.7 Kw HSD w/ AB 523 SVC drive, V Carve Pro 8, WinCNC

Comment

You should pull that tranny and align the gears for full engagement. I have done it and it makes sense.
          While you have the tranny off, you may want to replace the gear just because.
          I have noticed on my machine that the gear wears faster than the rack, by design, so it is a consumable. I keep several spares just for this case.
          Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
          New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Comment

Originally posted by hefty View Post
            ... Before you just move the pinion gear out, check the shaft length going into the pinion gear. A short shaft will cause the pinion gear to wobble which would be worse than the situation you have there.
            This was my main concern but I guess I won't know until I try to move that pinion gear down a little.

Pete
            ----------
            2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
            Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
            Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
            VCarve Pro 11.0
            www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Working...
            X