Remove spindle assembly for Transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remove spindle assembly for Transport

Hey all - I am planning to transport my CNC and just realized that the spindle assembly / Z Axis makes it too tall to fit in my enclosed trailer.

Does anyone know how painful it is to remove the Z-Axis just to lay it on the bed during the move? Weighing this against the hassle of finding an appropriate trailer to use. I will have to do this at least 2 times before it gets to its final home.

Thanks!

Shawn

What Camaster machine do you have? I suspect removing "all the things" from the gantry that make up the Z axis assembly will be quite complicated. There are quite a few signal and power connections, air if you have the counterbalance, physical connection of the stepper/servo for motion, etc. And then at the other end, you have to get it all back together exactly the same way, fully in alignment, etc. so you can get back to cutting. It's something you want to avoid if you can for sure, IMHO.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Harvey G700 DC
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

It is an Elite circa 2020. That is my thought too - too much going on to get it right on the other side. Oh well, still cheaper than hiring a transport company and doing the whole forklift thing. At least I kept that big ole tarp!

Comment

It can be done. I pulled a complete gantry to turn a machine on it's side and fit through a door. It is a lot of wiring and a lot of mechanic work. If you don't HAVE to take it apart, don't. If you HAVE to take it apart, take pictures, get some blue tape and label things, ect... It's just one wire at a time and one screw at a time, but it's a lot of them. Just pulling the Z would not be as bad as pulling the gantry. When a bearing comes off of the end of a linear rail, often bearings fall out, so either keep them on the rails, or be prepared. Then aligning things back up and adjusting the spindle takes some time.
        Fixing machines and making sawdust.
        SW side of Houston kenrychlik (at) gmail

Comment

Why not just buy a trailer and when done with it sell it

Comment

Originally posted by tmouse View Post
            Why not just buy a trailer and when done with it sell it
            Buying, storing, selling vs $500 - 600 in rental. Prob cost me much more in the long run. I just figured if it was 10 bolts and some connectors, then no big deal. Otherwise, rental it is....

Comment

For a sub-$1000 trailer rental, no question that's what I would do for a machine of this complexity. Any kind of disassembly brings a "yuge" uptick in risk beyond what already comes with moving over the road. And that's far less expensive than paying for someone else to move it likely would be at this point. My short-stroke sliding table saw that weighs in at "only" about 1100 pounds cost $1200 to ship from Atlanta to the Philadelphia area where I live, and that was for terminal pickup as well as a discounted rate. I still had to do the last 20 miles in my own trailer.
              Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-11-2024, 09:30 AM.
              ---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Stubby - lathe
              Harvey G700 DC
              more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
                For a sub-$1000 trailer rental, no question that's what I would do for a machine of this complexity. Any kind of disassembly brings a "yuge" uptick in risk beyond what already comes with moving over the road. And that's far less expensive than paying for someone else to move it likely would be at this point. My short-stroke sliding table saw that weighs in at "only" about 1100 pounds cost $1200 to ship from Atlanta to the Philadelphia area where I live, and that was for terminal pickup as well as a discounted rate. I still had to do the last 20 miles in my own trailer.
                The thing that sucks is that I have to do this two times. I sold my house in South Florida too fast and do not have a new home picked out. Heck, I don't even know what state I am moving to. Somewhere Mid-East like GA or NC. So, I decided to stage all of my stuff in a storage unit in Jacksonville which is only a 5 hour drive and a fairly good kick off point to a future destination.

Comment

Yea, I understand. I actually sold my original slider when we were getting ready to move three years ago because I knew it would be a while before I could get a shop building up here at the new place and didn't want to move a super heavy machine twice and pay for storage, too. So let it go and used the money for a new one (going same quality but short stroke) here once I had the building available to put it in. My CNC wasn't an issue because it's a bit smaller than your Elite and I was able to set up a "temporary gara-shop" for a year and a quarter while I went through the build process, which is a lot of "hurry up and wait", as it were.
                  ---
                  Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                  Stubby - lathe
                  Harvey G700 DC
                  more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Should you consider cutting off the legs and then welding back on? You could position some plates and holes before cutting. Then remove the new plates and cut. Finally after the second move put the leg’s together with plates in place, then weld.
                    Last edited by Charlie_L; 05-11-2024, 03:09 PM.
                    Charlie L
                    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

I like it!
                      Kinda like letting the air out of the tires to clear a low bridge.
                      Pete
                      ----------
                      2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
                      Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
                      Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
                      VCarve Pro 11.0
                      www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_L View Post
                        Should you consider cutting off the legs and then welding back on? You could position some plates and holes before cutting. Then remove the new plates and cut. Finally after the second move put the leg’s together with plates in place, then weld.
                        That may make it tough to roll onto the trailer lol

Comment

Cutting and rewelding would be a nightmare for keeping the machine coplanar...
                          ---
                          Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                          Stubby - lathe
                          Harvey G700 DC
                          more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

If you have to rent a storage unit then buying a trailer would be better then renting one and having to unload it and the reloading it. Just back it into the unit and put some jact stands under the trailer until you need to move it again. When you are at your permentant place put the trailer for sale on market place.
                            Last edited by tmouse; 05-17-2024, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmouse View Post
                              If you have to rent a storage unit then buying a trailer would be better then renting one and having to unload it and the reloading it. Just back it into the unit and put some jact stands under the trailer until you need to move it again. When you are at your permentant place put the trailer for sale on market place.
                              This could be for several months until I buy a new house and build a workshop

Comment

Working...
                              X