1/8" Tapered Ball Nose Finish Work - Appropriate Feed & Speed to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1/8" Tapered Ball Nose Finish Work - Appropriate Feed & Speed to use

Hey All, After surfacing the new spoilboard this week, I put my first project piece down to do rough and finish passes. Got the rough pass knocked out last night with a 3/8" ball nose and now need to do the finish pass. I've got a Panther with the 5 hp spindle. I'll plan on using about 8% stepover, but what is an appropriate feed/ speed to use with the two flute, quarter inch shank, 1/8" tapered ball nose bit I'll be using for the finish pass? Thanks!
    2021 Panther ATC
    Black Box Hurricane Vac
    VCarve Pro

As long as you don’t have any deep dives you can move as fast as the machine likes. I only have the 1.7 kW spindle on a Stinger. Most important set the speeds the same for x, y and z.

On my machine I’d start with 250 or 300 and then play with the slider bar on the WinCNC screen as needed.
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Thanks, Charlie!
      2021 Panther ATC
      Black Box Hurricane Vac
      VCarve Pro

Comment

I'll echo Charlie's advice on this. You can rip along pretty quickly...but don't expect it to actually rip along pretty quickly. LOL The reason is that even when you set the Z to the same speed, the nature of cutting up and down naturally slows things down due to acceleration/deceleration characteristics that are native to CNC machines. (abrupt changes in speed and direction are stressful) For carving like this, spindle power isn't really a factor...it's the steppers/servos pretty much all the way.
        ---
        Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
        Festool "a good collection"
        Stubby - lathe
        Oneida Cyclone
        more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
        Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
        Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I would imagine that WinCNC does have some tuning available, but I don't do that kind of thing, for the most part. Someone more knowledgeable will have to comment.
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Festool "a good collection"
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
          Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Wincnc does have all functions like this. I do not recommend messing with it without a tech or some experience. Always mack a entire copy of your wincnc file On "C" drive and date the file name . Save this on another place and a zip drive. You can mess some.stuf up real fast so be careful and again ask a Camaster tech and or some previous experience. CAMASTER has long ago figured out win cnc and there are few companies as well versed in wincnc as they are. Some years ago the techs and owners of wincnc meet with some of us in Georgia to learn and establish this
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508
            The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
            https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

This is why I joined..Folks chiming in with their experience, what they've done, how they've done it, what to do, what not to do, what can really get messed up without a backup copy beforehand....Thanks to one and all for sharing!
              2021 Panther ATC
              Black Box Hurricane Vac
              VCarve Pro

Comment

Working...
              X