Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY ATC Upgrade revisited.......... (2 years later, And It's A Win!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIY ATC Upgrade revisited.......... (2 years later, And It's A Win!!!)

I always wanted a tool changer, but neither needed one, nor wanted to spend the money on the upgrade. I asked how to do it, and was met with frosty warnings, and stories of failed attempts. I believed it was just too difficult.

As luck would have it, I got Covid a couple weeks ago, and lived in My workshop for a week or so, to avoid infecting My family. I got bored, so I ordered an ATC spindle, and VFD, and decided while I had down time, in between throwing up, shivering, and spells of fatigue, I'd set up My own ATC. Having no instructions, and no real plan, I had WinCNC enable My ATC function in the software. Then I stared at My machine for a few days. I just couldn't get motivated.

Because I didn't have anything operational, WinCNC really couldn't assist me at first. They told me to call when I had everything hooked up. I figured out all of the pneumatic plumbing, Built an auto raising Dust Boot, Laser cut, powder coated, and 3D printed an exchange rack, and got this thing up and running in about 3 days (after finally committing to the project, and actually working on it, instead of staring at a pile of amazon packages).

I really wish I did this 10 years ago. All-in, it cost me about $2200.00 to complete the project, and I now have a perfectly functioning 10 tool ATC system. I've already laid it out for an additional 10 tools, or drills, so I can expand as needed (if needed).

I have been smiling ear to ear for the last week, as I was able to design so much of the manual post processing I used to have to do to My products, into the newly revised files!

What a game changer! And I bought extra time with Win CNC so I could actually learn, instead of just having them do it for me. It took a few days, and a few phone calls, but it finally clicked, and I'm doing My own Macros now.

Anyhow, I just wanted to show the result, because I feel proud of Myself, and though this is "Old Hat" to many of you with the more sophisticated machines, Y'all are the only ones I know who give a crap about CNC. Everyone else I showed Just kind of gave me the glassy eyed stare, and nodded politely..
    Brandy New Panther PT-408 8" Gantry
    Phenolic Top, Servos, Counter Balance, 4 H.P. Spindle, Laser, Hurricane Vacuum, And FTC.
    Win CNC 3.0, & Aspire 9.X
    And A Nice Clear Lexan Magnetic Dust Boot To Finish It Off.

That's really great to hear, Steve...what a great project.

And I hope you are feeling much better now.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Phenolic Top, Servos, Counter Balance, 4 H.P. Spindle, Laser, Hurricane Vacuum, And FTC.

Comment

Steve, congratulations on the new tool changer! You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Im a firm believer of the fact that there isnt anything one can accomplish if: We're not afraid to try, We're not afraid to experience a set back or two, and most importantly, We dont listen to those who say "you cant do that". Count me as impressed with what you have done! Thanks for sharing...I hope you inspire other folks to tackle things they thought they could not do. WELL DONE!!!
        Last edited by drummerjg; 09-16-2021, 10:50 AM. Reason: Schpelling...what else???
        Joe Garber
        Retired, Hobbyist
        Stinger 1 SR24
        FTC
        Laser Pointer
        HSD 1.7kw Spindle
        Indexing Lathe
        WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
        Storm Vacuum
        drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
        1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

Thanks Jim! I was really mad that I got it so late in the game. I performed a wedding (out of obligation) for a longtime school department customer, who's daughter's wedding I promised I'd do a few years ago. The irony is, the loudest most "I'm vaccinated" person in the room, one of the groomsmen, failed to tell anyone that he had tested positive 3 days earlier, because He "got the jab man!", and "wouldn't have missed the wedding for anything!" Well, I'm glad that he did, but I wish someone explained to him how the whole thing works, as He left approximately half of the wedding party, with a (thankfully Mild) parting gift, that showed up about 5 days later, like clockwork. My wife and son tested positive, but were asymptomatic. My daughter is a textbook brooding 13 year old, she hasn't come out of her room since 2019, so she managed to dodge the bullet.

Comment

Sounds like your daughter has the right idea. LOL It's safer in there for any number of reasons from a parental perspective. :)

Sad about so many others at the wedding getting that "gift" under that circumstance, too.
            ---
            Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
            Festool "a good collection"
            Stubby - lathe
            Oneida Cyclone
            more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
            Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
            Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Steve,
              I'm very interested in adding an ATC spindle to my machine.
              Would you please share your purchase information? You purchased off of Amazon?

thanks..
              Tracy Brookins

Stinger I
              FTC & Laser
              T-track
              Kent Dust Shoe
              Recoil

Stinger II 48x48
              1.7Kw spindle
              Kent dust shoe
              Phenolic top with Hurricane vac & T-track
              FTC & Laser

Aspire
              WinCNC

Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Steve, as a matter of interest, does your machine have steppers or servos?
                Gary
                2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
                Fusion 360
                Aspire

Comment

looks nice. what is the cut area on table after upgrade?
                  panther 508 ATC
                  7watt laser
                  recoil

Comment

Looks sharp. That's a huge technical undertaking for those who don't know any better. As you use it more and more, the only thing I worry about is your sore butt from kicking yourself for not doing this many years ago. ;)
                    Wes
                    Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook
                    Steel 5X10 Panther
                    5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
                    WinCNC
                    VcarvePro 9.5
                    15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Comment

I'm sure by this point in the game, answering this post is pointless, however, I've been locked out of the forum since last year, and just gave up. No idea why I can get back in now.. lol

It was really simple. I done the 4.5, 7.5, and 9KW spindles for friends, so I pretty much have it down.

You'd need to purchase the ATC module for win CNC, and they'll help you dial it all in once it's installed. but I can get you damn close, if not dead on.

Happy to share whatever I can if it's something you want to try.

You'll have to move a few inputs around, add a few macros, do a little pneumatic plumbing, and probably mill a new plate for the Z.

It's a lot easier if you didn't already take your machine apart, as you can mill the replacement on your table easily.

It's been working perfectly, and don't worry, I nursed the sore butt cheek back to health!

Comment

I'd be interested in how you did the programming aspect. I already have a 4 tool ATC carousel on mine but I've thought off and on about adding a linear bar with 10 more tools on it. It would save me from changing back and forth all the time on different projects.
                        4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
                        Mister system
                        Phenolic Vac table
                        Hurricane Vac
                        Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                        X