Warped hole when pocketing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warped hole when pocketing

Hey guys, as the picture explains, I have a warped hole that I keep getting and im not quite sure how to fix this.
    Im cutting a 5/8" diameter hole with a 3/8" bit. 3 passes with the pocket tool, large pocket clear and then it goes back in to finish the perimiter.
    But for some reason it keeps cutting inaccurately.

warped hole.JPG

Some questions....
    1. How thick is the material you are pocketing?
    2. What's up with the chamfered edge?
    3. What type of 3/8" bit are you cutting with?
    4. If you pocket multiple holes like this do they all look identical in terms of where the "flat" section is located?

Pete
    ----------
    2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
    Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
    Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
    VCarve Pro 11.0
    www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

So this material is 5/8" thick, the chamfer was added afterward, it was the 3rd and final cut. (1st cut clear pocket, 2nd cut perimiter pocket, 3rd chamfer)
      The 3/8" bit is an upcut bit, Amana 51427-K. T
      I haven't done multiples on this test, but I've noticed that it hasn't been cutting accurately on other projects. (im not going to even get into the optiscout errors haha.)
      I feel like this might be a machine issue but I figured I'd stop here first.

Comment

Agree it does look like a machine issue for sure but two more questions:
        1. What type of machine?
        2. What software generated your toolpaths?
        The reason I asked about the software is because VCarve pocketing operations normally don't require that 2nd perimeter cut unless you specify a profile pass.
        Pete
        ----------
        2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
        Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
        Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
        VCarve Pro 11.0
        www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Model: PT-510 ATC
          I did all the design work in vcarve for the test. So there shouldnt be any issues with 3rd party software like Illustrator or any other software.

Comment

I've having sort of the same problem with my PT510. My holes are sort of oblong and we narrowed it down to a bad X-axis planetary gearbox but have yet to install the new one. I'll more than likely put the new on one next week and let you know if this fixes it. My machine is a 2018 with steel gantry.
            Wes
            Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook
            Steel 5X10 Panther
            5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
            WinCNC
            VcarvePro 9.5
            15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Comment

Hi Wes, if you don't mind my asking, what led you to the gearbox as being faulty?? just curious for my own Panther.
              Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
              6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
              near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

Thanks for the info Wes! Yes please let me know if it resolves your issue. I've tried to reach out to a camaster tech to come out but havent heard a response yet.

Comment

Have you put in a support ticket on the website ?
                  James McGrew
                  CAMaster ATC 508
                  The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
                  https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by TimPa View Post
                    Hi Wes, if you don't mind my asking, what led you to the gearbox as being faulty?? just curious for my own Panther.
                    Started making oblong holes. I tightened everything recommended (pinion gear set screws, collars inside the gearboxes, all screws and bolts on everything, etc) and started doing some push/pull tests on the gearboxes. Found some movement in the X-axis when machine was powered on. It moved probably .20-.30" when push/pulled and seemed not to bounce back properly.

*NOTE- IF you have the gearboxes that are black and gold, you will need the new mounting bracket and hardware from CAMaster for the new RED gearboxes that they use now. I found that out today when I went to replace mine. The new red ones are too big to go in the original bracket. They're sending me a new one asap. I'll update once replaced and I run some tests.

Wes
                    Steel 5X10 Panther
                    WinCNC
                    VcarvePro 9.5

Comment

I finally got a chance to replace the X-axis planetary gearbox and after some tests I believe that has solved the problem with the oblong holes. They said they almost never replace the X-axis one, but mainly one of the Y-axis ones.

A couple of notes for anyone that needs to do so for their machine:

Be sure to request ALL of the parts and pieces and new hardware for the new gearbox replacement (this includes all new mounting bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers for both the servo-to-gearbox connection, the gearbox-to-tension plate connection, and the tension plate to machine connection.) CAMaster shipped me a new gearbox, and unbeknownst to me, it was a different larger housing than the original that come off the machine which required a different tensioning plate and bolts to mount the servo on. This caused an extra 4-5 days of downtime waiting on them to get back with me and for the new correct parts to arrive.

Wes
                      Steel 5X10 Panther
                      WinCNC
                      VcarvePro 9.5

Comment

Working...
                      X