vcarve pro rounding toolpath gadget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vcarve pro rounding toolpath gadget

when using the rounding toolpath gadget I am trying to take a square blank that is .6875 inches thick and reduce it to a round dowel that is .5 inches in diameter. This seems simple enough, however, I input these values into the gadget fields, and then generate a toolpath to take to my stinger 1, I end up with a .tap file that assumes the blank is .6875x2 inches thick. It's as if the calculations assumed I was inputting a radius not diameter. If I try to reduce the thickness of the blank to .344 in the gadget input field, I get an error message that this cannot be smaller than the final diameter (which makes sense).

Also, when I set my x0y0 datum in the bottom right corner in the 2D view, it wraps the x0y0 to the bottom center of the cylinder. I figured x0y0 pictured at the bottom shouldn't matter because the z0 is x0y0 agnostic. However, the toolpath preview makes it seem like cutter moves to the bottom of the cylinder (which I assume would really just be the lathe spinning). however, my preview toolpath is a joke so it's hard to tell. every time i try to preview toolpath, the "simulate toolpath" status bar takes over for about 5 minutes. on top of that the software usually freezes during this point as well. (i'm only previewing a single simple toolpath, and my preview quality is set to standard).

finally, when i open the .tap file, i can't understand what commands would spin the lathe. the entire command sequence is G1 commands with a few G0 commands. so, what commands A to move, so to speak?

beginner lathe-ing is frustrating.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beemerrin; 09-26-2021, 12:19 PM.
    Stinger 1, recoil lathe, 3.5 hp router, laser engraver, FTC

"I cut that board twice and it's still too short!" ~ the carpenter's lament

What is the diameter of your project set to in the project setup screen? The rounding gadget is dependent on the project diameter. If you want a finished size of .5:"D then set the rotary project size to .5" diameter
    Steve
    Laser crosshair
    Wireless Pendant
    Aspire 10.5

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
      What is the diameter of your project set to in the project setup screen? The rounding gadget is dependent on the project diameter. If you want a finished size of .5:"D then set the rotary project size to .5" diameter
      yes, I have it set to .5" in the set-up as well. I'm really scratching my head on this one because I'm too new at this to be confident that it's, for sure, a s/w issue. That said, I can't find anything wrong with my set-up and the toolpath preview is definitely jacked up.

Comment

I just set up a job with your specs and it works fine for me and only takes about 15 seconds to preview the toolpath. After viewing the toolpath set the 3D view to flat by clicking on the automatic wrapping button on the toolbar. Pass your mouse over the surface and look at the bottom right corner of the screen. It gives the X, Y and Z coordinates of the mouse. The Z coordinate should be .25"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-26-2021, 02:33 PM.
        Steve
        Laser crosshair
        Wireless Pendant
        Aspire 10.5

Comment

I just thought of something else. What size and type of bit are you using? I used a 1/2" end mill. I can't read the screen in your setup but it looks line a 1/8" ball nose. If that is true then that's why your getting really long preview times. I wouldn't use any thing smaller than a 1/4" end mill with a 20% stepover.
          Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-26-2021, 02:55 PM.
          Steve
          Laser crosshair
          Wireless Pendant
          Aspire 10.5

Comment

thanks steve. I loaded your file, it looked good. then i copied what you did and it looked good also. the main difference between these files and my original is the 1/2" end mill vs the 1/8" end mill that i started with. for some reason when i use this rounded toolpath gadget with an 1/8" end mill it calculates the first few cuts/passes at a z height higher than the material (here's the first pass: G1 X0.209533 Y0.000000 Z0.462405; you can see the z value is higher than .344, which is the material surface). then the cutter just slides back and forth cutting the air. using the 1/2" end mill as the tool selected, the first pass is G1 X0.392699 Y0.000000 Z0.343750. which is still pretty shallow cut for a 1/2" end mill, but at least it's cutting wood. no idea why it's doing this.

also, my toolpath preview is still jacked up, so, i suppose I'll contact vectric support for their advice on that.

thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by beemerrin View Post
              thanks steve. I loaded your file, it looked good. then i copied what you did and it looked good also. the main difference between these files and my original is the 1/2" end mill vs the 1/8" end mill that i started with. for some reason when i use this rounded toolpath gadget with an 1/8" end mill it calculates the first few cuts/passes at a z height higher than the material (here's the first pass: G1 X0.209533 Y0.000000 Z0.462405; you can see the z value is higher than .344, which is the material surface). then the cutter just slides back and forth cutting the air. using the 1/2" end mill as the tool selected, the first pass is G1 X0.392699 Y0.000000 Z0.343750. which is still pretty shallow cut for a 1/2" end mill, but at least it's cutting wood. no idea why it's doing this.

also, my toolpath preview is still jacked up, so, i suppose I'll contact vectric support for their advice on that.

thanks for your help.
              What is your depth per pass and step-over set for? Remember, it's taking off the corners first so your A0 should be set when the flat part of the blank is at top dead center. I use a square and the bed of the lathe to be sure it is flat on the top. The machine will rotate 45 degrees to what it thinks is a corner before starting the cut.
              Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-26-2021, 03:15 PM.
              Steve
              Laser crosshair
              Wireless Pendant
              Aspire 10.5

Comment

that's a good theory--it makes sense that it would spin the piece before cutting and start with the corners. however, when i run the .tap file, the lathe does not rotate. i can spin it manually, but nothing in the .tap file prompts it to spin. i only see commands that move the spindle but not the lathe. also, new problem, the .tap files move the spindle in the positive x direction outside the soft limits for x. if i set x0 in the on the a axis, as seems to be the parameter dictated by vcarve, the .tap file tries to move the spindle to the right too far...

i'm not sold on this rounding toolpath gadget--it seemed so user friendly, but there's all sorts of not-so-obvious issues.

Comment

These videos on youtube that Gary Campbell made are very informative. He is using his sidewinder GCNC but I think you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpLfE6kn0j4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezdx2KVvFnU

Going to lunch now. Be back later
                  Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-26-2021, 03:29 PM.
                  Steve
                  Laser crosshair
                  Wireless Pendant
                  Aspire 10.5

Comment

ok, i think i've narrowed it down to an issue when i save the toolpath. I have "stinger 1 SR23 - Default" selected for machine and "CAMaster Single Tool INCH (*.tap)" selected for post processor. i think i need something like: "CAMaster Recoil X to A Single Tool INCH (*.tap)" selected.

I'm going to try and see what happens... wish me luck
                    Last edited by beemerrin; 09-26-2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

You are correct. You can add all of the post processors from the toolpath tab. Click on the save toolpath button then click on the post processor pull down and select "Add Post Processor"
                      Steve
                      Laser crosshair
                      Wireless Pendant
                      Aspire 10.5

Comment

Steve,
                        thanks a ton for helping me throughout this problem—it’s much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by beemerrin View Post
                          Steve,
                          thanks a ton for helping me throughout this problem—it’s much appreciated
                          Glad I could help.
                          Steve
                          Laser crosshair
                          Wireless Pendant
                          Aspire 10.5

Comment

Working...
                          X