Setting recoil lathe z-zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Either way, your knowledge and experience with g-code programming is awesome and greatly appreciated.
    i was thoroughly impressed with Gary’s skills and his willingness to educate me on his fine piece of g coding. His work has made using the rotary on my Stinger so much easier.
    Joe Garber
    Retired, Hobbyist
    Stinger 1 SR24
    FTC
    Laser Pointer
    HSD 1.7kw Spindle
    Indexing Lathe
    WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
    Storm Vacuum
    drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
    1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

Gary,

You should be working for Wincnc. Your code works perfectly. The version from Wincnc needs some work so I'll be using yours. Your code works great when a single toolpath post processor is used but not when a multiple tool PP is used. When it calls for a tool change I think it's using the regular tool measure process instead. Until I get it figured out I can use your macro and move the tool tip to z-zero on the rotary then just calibrate the switch using the calibrate switch button for the spoilboard. Thank you very much for your time and generosity.
      Steve
      Laser crosshair
      Wireless Pendant
      Aspire 11.5
      Rhino 7
      Fusion 360

Comment

The reason for adding additional tools numbers is to allow you to use the tool change post processor. If my tool numbers are 21 through 30, the rotary TM macro is used, and the tool is measured on the “second” FTC which is relative to the lathe and not the table. Again, this is why I have a pause with a message after measuring the tool. It reminds me that Z0 is now at the lathe center point. If I see that while cutting on the table, I immediately abort the job. Adding additional tool numbers to the CNC.MAC file is trivial, and my example above shows the first tool numbers with mine. Both for the table and for the lathe.

And this is another reason why my Vectric tool renumber gadget is so useful to me. For rotary jobs I tell it to start numbering tools from 21. For router jobs I tell it to start numbering tools from 1.
        Gary
        2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
        Fusion 360
        Aspire

Comment

Well crap! I forgot about the tool number thing. I use your tool renumber gadget on almost every multi-tool project but didn't when testing the macros. I'm headed out to the shop now to test it.
          Steve
          Laser crosshair
          Wireless Pendant
          Aspire 11.5
          Rhino 7
          Fusion 360

Comment

Gary and I have been conversing more on this with private messaging. When running a .tap file for multiple tools using the CAMaster Recoil XtoA (TC) INCH post processor the first toolpath would run but the second toolpath did not move the spindle over to the recoil lathe. Apparently, there was a missing line of code and, once again, Gary was spot on with a solution. It was strange that the computer in my house had the correct pp but the one in my shop that is connected to the Camaster did not. The missing line is "G0 X0 Y0" at the bottom of the "Commands Output At Toolchange" section. It was corrected by Camaster a while back but didn't get updated on my machine.
            Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-20-2022, 01:16 PM.
            Steve
            Laser crosshair
            Wireless Pendant
            Aspire 11.5
            Rhino 7
            Fusion 360

Comment

Working...
            X