spiral layout question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiral layout question

I have just started to use the lathe, and read Steve Nelson and Milo Scott's posts on using the spiral gadget.

The preview shows a smooth cylinder, but I got ridges in the turning as shown in the pic.

I'm using a 1/2 inch end mill, the ridges are 3/8 and 1/8 which matches the step over.

Any idea why the turning is not smooth as in the preview?

Thanks

Gary

Attached Files
    Stinger II SR34 with x3 and lathe
    Hammer K3 sliding saw
    Hammer A3 41 16 inch planer
    festool domino, sanders etc.

It's probably the bit you are using. Try switching to a flat bottom cutting bit and reducing the stepover. I just use cheap bits for this kind of thing like the Magnate.net 2701 surface planing bit. Then, if I run into anything due to stupid mistakes, it doesn't break the bank to replace them.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-31-2023, 12:19 PM.
    Steve
    Laser crosshair
    Wireless Pendant
    Aspire 11.5
    Rhino 8
    Fusion 360

Comment

No experience since I did not purchase the recoil ornamental lathe feature, but many spirals have tips that are designed to be efficient plunging into the material so they may create marks for this kind of appplication. A more traditional router tool with simple edges likely will create a better surface. Also...there could be an alignment/tramming issue at play here.
      ---
      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
      Festool "a good collection"
      Stubby - lathe
      Harvey G700 DC
      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I tried a bowl bit that has a flat bottom and it was much better. There are still some lines but it looks like they are from the climb cut/traditional cut sections of the cut.

I'll have to try some different bits.

thanks

Stinger II SR34 with x3 and lathe
        Hammer K3 sliding saw
        Hammer A3 41 16 inch planer
        festool domino, sanders etc.

Comment

Think about how the tooling actually engages the material for this application and that will help you zero in on what is going to provide you with both the cut you need as well as the surface you desire. The engagement with material if rounded is different than a sheet or stick of something on your CNC's table. :) (But remember that the material on the Recoil doesn't actually have to be round...it's not a lathe in the traditional sense. It's an ornamental mill)
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Festool "a good collection"
          Stubby - lathe
          Harvey G700 DC
          more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
          Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
          X