Troubleshooting X and Y Stepper Location Changes While Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troubleshooting X and Y Stepper Location Changes While Cutting

I have also sent this text information to support at the factory...

2012 model Stinger II 4 by 4
    I'm having problem with the x and y drifting over time, minutes. In the example this morning after drawing a line on paper, no spindle or vacuum, after 3 minutes when starting the same file over again my X had moved about 1/4 inch to the right (+) and the Y was now drawing 3/8" higher (+). Same TAP file. Text, circles, and outlines, all profile toolpaths. Just noticed this the last couple days. Also notice that the FTC spot where sharp tools leave a divot in the measuring pad is off slightly immediately after Initialization. Maybe about 0.030"?

I have cleaned all dust from computer and machine control panel. Checked cable from computer to machine. Made sure all terminals in panel are tight.

I just Initialized again. With a pencil in the spindle drew a 30 inch square. After the first cut it seems square measuring 42 3/8 inch across corners. Did an air run ten times then lowered z to the paper and using the tap file again drew the line. X looks pretty good, Y on the left of the square has raised about 0.090 inch, on the right which is the rotary side it was about half that change or less.

I'm stuck not knowing where to look.

Photo of the drift after 3 minutes:
    2022-09-22 07.21.47.jpg

Photo of change in the start corner, lower left for 30 inch square. Shows Y variation after ten squares are air cut.

2022-09-22 08.23.58.jpg
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Check the belts on the X and (2) Y axis to be sure they are tight and not causing backlash inaccuracies.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Weird. One thing that happened to me a couple weeks ago is that I'd used the recoil, so I had to increase the length of dust hose. After that, I didn't realize the dust hose was getting caught between the head and the left side of the x-axis. The x-position was off after init, and I was scratching my head trying to figure out what had happened. I know this is x axis only, but stuff can happen with skipped steps.

You've had your machine a long time, so I doubt the r values in the axis spec are off that much, so it probably does come down to missed steps. After checking physical things, I'm wondering what happens if you lower the max ipm for g0 moves and maybe even the max acceleration. I know the tracks also wear out. The "black dust" drives me nuts!
      Gary
      2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
      Fusion 360
      Aspire

Comment

Charlie,
        I think you are permanently missing steps. Since you have checked the electrical connections, next check the motors themselves. Remove the belt and turn the motor sprocket by hand. You should feel the fine 200 step/ rev indents but it should turn smoothly and with a little force (it will not spin freely but needs a little pressure to get it moving). If not, the internal bearings are starting to go and you need a new motor. I have a 2015 Stinger that gets high usage and have replaced my stepper motor for the same issue and you had to fight to turn it and could feel the "hard spots" that were causing it to loose steps.
        John
        John Stanley Stinger II 3'x4', FTC, Laser, 1.7 Kw HSD w/ AB 523 SVC drive, V Carve Pro 8, WinCNC

Comment

Tech Support to the rescue. Solved within an hour after posting via email. I had checked all connections except the PCI board into the computer and the connection between the two boards. A little wiggling, blowing, checking for anything else and pressing back together. After testing my pencil drawn square, the actual pencil drawn sign I had been trying to cut, and some locating holes on my spoilboard I confirmed all seemed to work.

I'm guessing that the live spider I found inside the computer had legs long enough to slightly push the two boards apart :)

Thanks DJ.
          Last edited by Charlie_L; 09-22-2022, 01:58 PM.
          Charlie L
          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Working...
          X