Add a lathe to Stinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Add a lathe to Stinger

Hello everyone! I’ve been poking around the forum for a few days now, what an excellent source of info/help.

My neighbor is relocating and is offering to sell me his Stinger 2 foot by 4 foot. I believe it’s a stinger 1 (no legs, desktop model).

This thing is built like a rock, he’s had nothing but great things to say about it. I previously had an x carve but had so many issues with the motors/alignment.

My question for you all, my neighbor says it has an expanded X axis (lathe ready), but he wasn’t sure if I would need to send it back to the factory to get it installed

If I buy this machine, and later order the recoil lathe, am I able to install myself? Very mechanically inclined, but I realize it’s gotta be absolutely coplanar to the gantry.

I appreciate anybody that might take the time to answer this question. Also, I believe he purchased the machine in 2017, FTC and Z pneumatic assist. I feel his price of $8K is fair, all maintenance done, very clean well maintained machine. Am I correct? Thanks again,

Daniel

Sounds like fun, years ago i put my own lathe on, call camaster monday on this there are others here who have done this

Welcome aboard
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
      Sounds like fun, years ago i put my own lathe on, call camaster monday on this there are others here who have done this

Welcome aboard
      Thanks James. I appreciate your response, I’ll give them a call next week!

Comment

I would call with the serial number if able. Probably easiest way for them to look up records.
        Charlie L
        Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
        WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Talk to Camaster. If the machine is recoil ready, they should be able to just sell and send out the unit you need. One thing...while it's called a lathe, it's not a "spinny thing" type lathe that is normally used in woodworking. The Recoil Lathe is an ornamental, indexing lathe which is used primarily to do things like wrap a 3D image around a blank that's anywhere between round and square and to create symmetrical components like cabriole legs, etc. Those are just two examples. It's not really intended for making things like bowls and symmetrical spindles. A normal wood lathe is better for that.
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Festool "a good collection"
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
          Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
            Talk to Camaster. If the machine is recoil ready, they should be able to just sell and send out the unit you need. One thing...while it's called a lathe, it's not a "spinny thing" type lathe that is normally used in woodworking. The Recoil Lathe is an ornamental, indexing lathe which is used primarily to do things like wrap a 3D image around a blank that's anywhere between round and square and to create symmetrical components like cabriole legs, etc. Those are just two examples. It's not really intended for making things like bowls and symmetrical spindles. A normal wood lathe is better for that.
            Jim,

Thanks for the info. Question.

In my design program (aspire 9.0) can I create a 3d surface, any type text, textures etc

then switch around motor outputs on WinCNC to rotate the lathe instead of the x axis motors? Essentially, WinCNC would be thinking it is doing a regular x y z job, but instead of moving the gantry left and right it would be rotating the lathe?

This is easy to do on Mach 3. I simply change the motor outputs on settings.

thank you so much!
            Dan

Comment

I do not believe that's how the indexing lathe interface was designed. You can ask Camaster, however. And I don't believe you need to do that for what you want to do...Aspire 9.x has features to support fourth axis which your machine already has if it's recoil ready as you note.
              ---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Right.
                The switching described is essential done in software by using a different post processor for rotary work. It switches X to A.
                Charlie L

Comment

Pretty sure you can install it yourself. Even if you get it factory installed, you'll probably still have to tweak it a little to make it exactly coplanar to the Y and Z axis.
                  Russell Crawford
                  Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
                  Alberta, Canada
                  www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Yea, for an ornamental lathe add to a "recoil-ready" Camaster machine, it's DYI for the physical install, AFAIK. There may need to be a remote session with a tech for software tweaks like with a new machine.
                    ---
                    Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                    Stubby - lathe
                    Oneida Cyclone
                    more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_L View Post
                      Right.
                      The switching described is essential done in software by using a different post processor for rotary work. It switches X to A.
                      hi Charlie,

im trying to get my used camaster lathe working on my stinger 24 that’s lathe ready. Can you, or anyone, send me a screen shot of their INI file so I can see how it’s programmed? I’m new to wincnc but used mach 3 for 6 or 7 years, not new to CNC . Thanks

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the machine is "Recoil Ready", perhaps the programming is already in WinCNC from the factory, but getting screen scrapes of the relevant areas of the INI file may be helpful as some things may be commented out. I'm guessing on that, however.
                        ---
                        Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                        Stubby - lathe
                        Oneida Cyclone
                        more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

A.Blair,
                          I sent you a pm
                          Charlie L

Comment

Working...
                          X