Holes in spoilboard using FTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DVE2000 View Post
    It's more to not accidentally go through the spoilboard when doing manual moves. I have a touchpad and I've hit the wrong button before. I've also screwed up G-code commands. :p You name it, I've probably done it!
    I probably will too. It's how we learn. Or at least, it's how I learn. Especially by attempting things that is just beyond one's skill level. If we just stay in our comfort zone nothing is learned.
    Steve
    Laser crosshair
    Wireless Pendant
    Aspire 11
    Rhino 7
    Fusion 360

Comment

Gary, i have tried typing the G49 command prior to loading the job. It still wants to measure a tool. When am I supposed to type the G49 command? I just want to drill two locator pins into my spoilboard. the past three days have been very frustrating.
      Thank you
      Todd
      Todd May
      MK-Tek Holsters
      www.mk-tekholsters.com
      Stinger 1

Comment

Originally posted by MK-Tek Holsters View Post
        Gary, i have tried typing the G49 command prior to loading the job. It still wants to measure a tool. When am I supposed to type the G49 command? I just want to drill two locator pins into my spoilboard. the past three days have been very frustrating.
        Thank you
        Todd
        You must be using the CAMaster Tool Change post. Make sure to use the Single Tool post instead. If you're using the tool change, there will be a T<tool number> change in the tap file, and that will want to measure a tool, and will undo g49 (by setting g43 after the measure)

So the steps are (after creating a single tool tap file):
        Measure the tool (if not measured)
        G0Z0 (make sure nothing is on the spoilboard in the way of the tool or you'll break it!)
        G49
        G92Z0
        Run tap file
        G92.1z
        Re-measure a tool or type G43 to make *SURE* you have your safety limits on again.

It's possible to not have to move the head to Z0 first by using other command(s), but once I had a way that worked, I didn't bother figuring anything else out.
        Last edited by DVE2000; 06-15-2020, 02:40 PM.
        Gary
        2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
        Fusion 360
        Aspire

Comment

I find the easiest way to cut into the spoil board is --
          Move the head so it is not above the spoil board.
          Turn off the safeties.
          Type the depth you want to cut as example z -.325
          Initialize
          Cut your file with .325 as your material thickness.
          Type in .325 to move the bit back to spoil board height and Initialize and you are back to where you started.

I do it for my rotary and vac table when I use them because they are both below my spoil board z height. It is fast, easy and you still have z safety protecting you from going deeper.
          Scott Besaw
          CAMaster Stinger II 4x8 FTC
          Aspire 3.5
          winCNC

Comment

For the rotary, I set up my FTC measure switch as a logical second switch i.e WinCNC sees it as a different physical switch, but it’s the same switch. I had to add some macros too. If a tool number is from 20 through 29, it measures it against the pre-determined center of the rotary and runs these different macros. I never have to worry about limits and things when using the rotary, I just need to make sure the tool number is correct. Heights just work out automatically.

The way I guard against screw-ups is that I have a Kent shoe, so my machine doesn’t pause after a measure telling me to re-attach the dust boot. That’s when I use the table. If my machine pauses and tells me to re-attach the dust boot after a tool measure, I know I have an incorrect tool number and could cut into the spoilboard (or phenolic) if I’m not using the rotary. Generally, hitting the Escape key is the next step!
            Gary
            2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
            Fusion 360
            Aspire

Comment

I do a lot of double sided projects using the asymmetric 3 hole method and regularly need to drill alignment holes in the spoilboard. After talking with tech support, here's how we fixed it.

In the wincnc.ini file change your lobound line to z=-.5 (minus .5) and save it.
              Restart WinCNC and your problems will go away (assuming you don't cut more than .5" into the spoilboard).

You can change it back later if you wish but I just left mine there. This is one of the really nice advantages of WinCNC. It's customizable to fit the user's needs.

Here is an example of the soft limits section of the win.ini file

[***********Soft Limits*************]
              lolim=x-.340 y-1.100 a-1000000
              hilim=x33 y36.5 z0 a1000000

lobound=z-0.5

softlim=1
              Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-15-2020, 09:10 PM.
              Steve
              Laser crosshair
              Wireless Pendant
              Aspire 11
              Rhino 7
              Fusion 360

Comment

good stuff steve, thanks for the closure!
                Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
                6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
                near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

I will add a caution about modifying WINCNC.INI to increase the Z limit to -.5"...only do that if you regularly and commonly need to use that extra depth. In Steve's case, he appears to be doing a lot of double sided work with locator pins. The Z limit is there to protect your machine from, um...human error. A quarter inch boo-boo in the spoilboard is bad enough, but a half inch deep divot in the shape of some project is substantially worse... wink, wink...nod, nod...

My alternative for two-sided locator pin holes is that I code to just enter the spoilboard with the toolpath and then use a drill to make them a little deeper before flipping the workpiece.
                  ---
                  Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                  Festool "a good collection"
                  Stubby - lathe
                  Oneida Cyclone
                  more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                  Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                  Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I respect your opinion Jim but I don't consider the spoilboard an essential part of the machine. Even if it is completely ruined it is easily replaced. The learning process is restricted if one is constantly afraid of making mistakes.

Go not where the path may lead
                    Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail

Ralph Waldo Emerson.
                    Steve
                    Laser crosshair
                    Wireless Pendant
                    Aspire 11
                    Rhino 7
                    Fusion 360

Comment

Yes, I absolutely agree that the spoilboard isn't something that needs to be pretty. But that .5" cut could hit something metal as the spoilboard is worn away from conditioning. It would with mine "as we speak" as I'm down to less than a half inch above the aluminum tee tracks. It's nice to have options to do things in ways we are most comfortable and always "do things knowingly". :)
                      ---
                      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                      Festool "a good collection"
                      Stubby - lathe
                      Oneida Cyclone
                      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
                        I do a lot of double sided projects using the asymmetric 3 hole method and regularly need to drill alignment holes in the spoilboard. After talking with tech support, here's how we fixed it.

In the wincnc.ini file change your lobound line to z=-.5 (minus .5) and save it.
                        Restart WinCNC and your problems will go away (assuming you don't cut more than .5" into the spoilboard).

You can change it back later if you wish but I just left mine there. This is one of the really nice advantages of WinCNC. It's customizable to fit the user's needs.

Here is an example of the soft limits section of the win.ini file

[***********Soft Limits*************]
                        lolim=x-.340 y-1.100 a-1000000
                        hilim=x33 y36.5 z0 a1000000

lobound=z-0.5

softlim=1
                        I understand the lobound parameter but wanted to see if I understand how it is being used in the program, ie is it computed in relation to the absolute home position of the machine or the material surface if that is how Z0 is set.

Say I added an additional spoiler board of 1 inch to the machine, my board thickness I want to cut through is 1 inch, my depth of cut from VCarve is 1.75 inch. I’m guessing this won’t run because the lobound parameter of -.5 is being computed in relation to Z0 material surface.

I’m just asking because I see so many posts related to Z boundary errors and wanted to see if adding an additional spoil board would make any difference. From reading everything I think I understand how L21 would also work or changing the Lobound parameter but just curious if an additional spoil board makes any difference.

Thanks. Coming from a machine with just the pendant for control. Wincnc seems much more robust.

SR23, 1.7 kw, performance package plus, Gantry lift, phenolic table. Vcarve Pro

Comment

The z lo-limit value is based on the machine z0, top of spoilboard. In WinCNC.ini file it sets the value, for example -0.010. With limits turned on the spindle would on cut 0.010 deep into the spoilboard.

The machine Z0 is set when you calibrate Z. Typically after flattening the spoilboard you have the tool resting on the spoilboard surface and push the calibrate button creating the new offset.
                          Charlie L
                          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Working...
                          X