Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisions decisions.... Stinger III or Stinger ATC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Decisions decisions.... Stinger III or Stinger ATC?

Greetings All,

I've really appreciated all of the feedback everyone has given me thus far. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on a decision I need to rapidly make.

Back when I started searching for a CNC router I really liked the idea of a system with an automatic tool changer. About a week ago I got an e-mail from CAMaster marketing announcing the Stinger ATC! This got me quite excited. I called CAMaster yesterday to check on the status of my order and if it was at all possible to change my order from the Stinger III to the Stinger ATC. The answer is YES, I still have time to change.

I really love the idea of moving to the ATC version. My only concerns, which I'm hoping you fine folks here can help with, are the spindle differences between the 2.2KW/3HP ATC spindle, and the 3.0KW/4HP spindle I selected for my Stinger III. My two concerns are:

* 3HP of the Stinger ATC vs 4HP for the Stinger III
    * 6,000-24,000 RPM of the Stinger ATC vs 0 - 18,000 RPM for the Stinger III

For the horse power reduction... obviously I won't be able to cut as fast... cut as deep... or use larger cutters with the 3HP like I could with the 4HP. But practically speaking, what does this translate into? For those of you that have the 1.7KW spindle do you feel like you've need more power? Does anyone have a 2.2KW spindle (even though I don't see that as an option for the Stinger II or III)? I would like to be able to machine harder materials like G10 / FR4 and aluminum.

For the spindle RPM differences... my only concern here is drilling operations... with drill bits. I want to be able to drill some very small holes... in various materials including hard G10 plate. We are talking down to 0.3mm in diameter sometimes. As I have no experience at drilling with a CNC machine I seek the advice of the people here. My experience is with a drill press and my milling machine where I'm usually drilling in the 300 RPM to 1500 RPM range... never as high as 6k RPM on up. Am I going to have an issue drilling holes from 0.3mm in diameter up to maybe 1/4" or 1/2" with a spindle that can't go below 6K RPM? I understand the torque on the 3.0KW/4HP spindle isn't great when you get down into low RPMs, but if I'm drilling with smaller bits I can't see this being much of a problem.

Thoughts?

cheers,
    Craig
    Stinger ATC 4x8, 2.2KW ATC Spindle, Servos, FTC, Laser Cross Hair, Counter Balance, Phenolic Vacuum Top, Wireless Keypad

I had the 1.7kw HSD spindle. I now have an CNCDEPOT.NET RM30 ATC spindle (3HP). You want an ATC hands down. It changes it from a hobby type machine to a true industrial machine. I didn't think I'd ever go over 18000 RPM, but I've stalled the spindle when I've cut aggressively with bigger bits. On both spindles. Having the ability to spin at 24000RPM has helped prevent stalls when this has happened. CNCDepot does sell a 4HP version too. Up to 7HP, actually. So even if HSD may not have an ATC spindle that's 4HP (no idea) you could always ask CAMaster to get one of those...

CNCDepot does have a 5HP HSD ATC spindle for sale on their site. They also sell a CNCDepot FM30F model (older, w/o an active cooling fan) that has a 4 pole instead of 2 pole motor for more power at lower speeds. It's maximum speed is 12,000rpm. More for metalwork. You could always call them too.
    Gary
    2018 Stinger II SR-44 with GCnC WinCNC Backplane, ClearPath Servos, 3HP RM30C ATC CNCDepot Spindle, 16 Tool Carousel, Custom Automatic Height Dustboot, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
    Fusion 360
    Aspire

Comment

IMHO, the practical difference between the slightly higher kw of the single tool spindle and the kw of ATC spindle is not all that impactful whereas the ATC available on a Stinger level machine is like a winning lottery ticket. No question that I personally would change the order to the new Stinger ATC. That machine is really decked out with all the goodies, for the most part.

To your question about the 1.7kw spindle, while I'm not a heavy user, it cuts beautifully. "Big spindles" are great for heavy production work for sure, but if that's not your thing, the difference between 3kw and 4kw is likely going to be a non-issue. Have I mentioned that I'd personally change to the Stinger ATC? :)
      ---
      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
      Festool "a good collection"
      Stubby - lathe
      Harvey G700 DC
      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Wow, .3mm drill bits in G10... can I ask what type of drill bits you use? I'd break ten of those every day!
        Pete
        ----------
        2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
        Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
        Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
        VCarve Pro 11.0
        www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Thank you so much for the feedback Gary and Jim! I called Cody and modified my order today.... a Stinger ATC it is.

I'm curious to know how many different cutters you guys are using on the average CNC job?

cheers,
          Craig
          Stinger ATC 4x8, 2.2KW ATC Spindle, Servos, FTC, Laser Cross Hair, Counter Balance, Phenolic Vacuum Top, Wireless Keypad

Comment

I don’t really know - depends on the job. However, I went overboard and chose 16 tools when I did my upgrade, so I don’t really have to care! :D

There’s some footage here: https://youtu.be/pnnlFSIQkYY?si=GXl4__dT0tz9BhQr
            Gary
            2018 Stinger II SR-44 with GCnC WinCNC Backplane, ClearPath Servos, 3HP RM30C ATC CNCDepot Spindle, 16 Tool Carousel, Custom Automatic Height Dustboot, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
            Fusion 360
            Aspire

Comment

Craig, for the things I do, I use between one and five pieces of tooling typically. The advantage of an ATC for me (if Aliens accidentally left a Stinger ATC in my shop some night) would be having the most common tools conveniently available. I suspect I could be happy with a 6 position changer and just keep a few extras loaded into holders that I could swap in and do a quick measure before using them as appropriate. I wouldn't have to do that very often I think based again, on my personal usage.
              ---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Festool "a good collection"
              Stubby - lathe
              Harvey G700 DC
              more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
              Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
              X