Surfacing Spoilboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surfacing Spoilboard

Okay, I just know when I get the answer it's going to be something small and stupid but ...

Using Mick Martin's Spoilboard Wizard, if I center my bit on the lower left corner of the spoilboard, set X0Y0, then lower Z to touch top and run the TAP file, I get something like Exceeded Soft Limits error [Y+].

Now, if I run the spoilboard wizard and use machine 0's but add an extra inch to Y dimension of spoilboard, it cuts fine. It does run off the front of the spoilboard and cut air though (about an inch or so, to Y0 machine limit).

I am doing G49 to clear Z limit and G92 to clear X and Y limits before zeroing X0 and Y0 to the corner of the spoilboard.

I know it's something simple, but I am just missing it.
    Jay Claunch
    Stinger II SR-44
    X3
    Recoil

If your bit is on the spoilboard, type g49 and then type g92z to set z0. Then run the tap file.
    Gary
    2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
    Fusion 360
    Aspire

Comment

I have run G92, does that not clear all axes? My error is in the Y axis?
      Jay Claunch
      Stinger II SR-44
      X3
      Recoil

Comment

Sounds like where the spoilboard corner is isn't the true X0Y0 which isn't uncommon. That is why I use the machine zero when running the spoilboard wizard on mine. I've never had much luck using a local zero when using Mick's program. If I need to use a local zero for some sort of surfacing operation (flattening slabs, etc) I just make a box in Vectric the size I need and pocket it with the appropriate size bit.
        4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
        Mister system
        Phenolic Vac table
        Hurricane Vac
        Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Sounds like it is working as intended. Flattening the table tp successfully when the factory x and y location is used. When you have used a local zero it results in a y value that would go beyond the machine limits.
          Charlie L
          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Thanks Logan!

I got my spoilboard surfaced, which is the ultimate goal. I was able to use machine zero and tell it my spoilboard was longer in the Y dimension than it really was to get it to mill the rearmost inch off.

I was just trying to figure out why things weren't working from local zero? I even dissected the G-Code in the TAP file, and it even made sense!
            Jay Claunch
            Stinger II SR-44
            X3
            Recoil

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_L View Post
              Sounds like it is working as intended. Flattening the table tp successfully when the factory x and y location is used. When you have used a local zero it results in a y value that would go beyond the machine limits.
              Yeah, but the machine would cut all the way to the back when I used machine zero, so it has to be able to reach back there, right?
              Jay Claunch
              Stinger II SR-44
              X3
              Recoil

Comment

G92 by itself restores machine coordinates. If you wanted to set local x, y, and z to zero, you’d have to do g92 xyz.
                Gary
                2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
                Fusion 360
                Aspire

Comment

I have an additional question about the spoilboard wizard. When it asks for the diameter of the router bit, should I enter the total width of the bit or the cutting width? On the Amana RC-2263, the total width of the tool is 2.75 inches but the cutting width is 2.25 inches. Many thanks for any help.
                  cheers
                  stuart
                  Attached Files
                  stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
                  3kw spindle
                  servos
                  blackbox cyclone
                  Jtech 7w pro laser
                  air assist
                  laser crosshair
                  ftc
                  recoil ready
                  vectric

Central Texas

Comment

It’s always the cutting width.
                    Gary
                    Fusion 360
                    Aspire

Comment

Working...
                    X