Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • When is Air Assist needed?

I have a Milwaukee router on my SR48.

If needed for it, what should the pressure be set at?
    Stinger III - SR48
    3.5hp Milwaukee
    Pro Package
    Indexer
    Black Box Hurricane
    Aspire 10.5

I don't believe the router models have air assist but I could be wrong. If they do the air assist for SR48s is set to 90 psi.

Machines equipped with Counter Balance (air assist) require 90 PSI static pressure. Connection is made by using ¼” male ARO type quick-connect hose coupler.
    https://www.camaster.com/wp-content/...ep%20Guide.pdf
    4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
    Mister system
    Phenolic Vac table
    Hurricane Vac
    Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

On my SR48 with 1.7 kW spindle the regulator on the machine is set to about 45 PSIG. I use it all the time. So, my air compressor supply is a little over that number. It doesn't really use much air, mostly just leaks out.
      Charlie L
      Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
      WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

There should be a pressure regulator that came with the machine and mounted to the frame. On the regulator face there should be a green arc for the operating range. At least mine has one.
        Steve
        Laser crosshair
        Wireless Pendant
        Aspire 11

Comment

Thanks but apparently I'm mistaken.Someone on another forum just pointed out that I have steppers, not servos and likely do not have air assist. I'll look when I get home.

Update: I checked and while I do have steppers the air assist cylinder and regulator are there as well so the previous owner must have planned to upgrade it to the spindle and/or servos.
          Last edited by Ron Hampe; 06-12-2022, 05:51 AM.
          Stinger III - SR48
          3.5hp Milwaukee
          Pro Package
          Indexer
          Black Box Hurricane
          Aspire 10.5

Comment

The pneumatic assist/counterbalance for the Z axis is usually there for a spindle equipped machine to take load off the steppers/servos from the weight of the spindle. It's a fixed pressure...mine is 45 psi...and it does not "use" air so a very small compressor is all that is needed.
            ---
            Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
            Festool "a good collection"
            Stubby - lathe
            Oneida Cyclone
            more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
            Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
            Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
            X