Z Axis Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z Axis Failure

I've asked in another area of the forum, but have gotten no response. The Z Axis on my Stinger 1 has stopped and its making a "thud" noise after moving about 3/4" from the top of it's travel. I removed the motor and plate covering it to determine its in the ball screw/rack & pinion drive, or whatever it's called is the problem. Anyone else experienced this problem?
    Kipp Hockin
    Stinger-1 SR-24
    WIN CNC V-Carve PRO Software
    hockinguitars.com
    If It Ain't A Hockin, You're Not Rockin'
    615-554-0878

No- just a motor failure after many years of faithful service.
    Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
    New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Comment

is there something stuck in rack an pinion? A bolt or nut backed out somewhere, (in the rack)stopping travel? Just guessing. Not familiar with stinger
      Eddie Kitson
      Cobra 5x8 ATC
      5hp spindle
      20hp regen vac
      laser pointer
      V carve 9.5

Comment

When you removed the motor from the system does the problem go away? I’m guessing not based on your reports.
        Charlie L
        Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
        WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Nothing stuck, loose, or backed out. I removed the Z axis motor, and the shaft will still not turn. I'm assuming there's a bearing or collar failure inside the bearing housing, but I don't know how it comes apart. Does Camaster have field service technicians?
          Kipp Hockin
          Stinger-1 SR-24
          hockinguitars.com
          615-554-0878

Comment

Very seldom does a motor go bad. Drivers can fail, and wiring can go bad. A loose cable from pc to controller can drive you crazy. You can swap motors and verify, but I doubt it is the issue. They will work with you over the phone and log onto your pc if you bought it new from camaster. If you bought it used, you can pay wincnc by the hour to help online. As for getting a tech out, I think they will, but airfare and a tech are not cheap.
            Fixing machines and making sawdust.
            SW side of Houston

Comment

Do you mean the stepper motor will not turn or that the ball screw shaft doesn’t turn?
              Charlie L

Comment

The ball screw shaft
                Kipp Hockin
                Stinger-1 SR-24
                hockinguitars.com
                615-554-0878

Comment

If you can't turn the ball screw with the motor off of it, then it's just a mechanical issue. Pull the ball screw off and make sure the z slide assembly works smoothly, as far as the bearings go. Don't let it come off of the rails all the way, as little ball bearings could be ejected out of the bearings.
                  Fixing machines and making sawdust.
                  SW side of Houston

Comment

I was able to get everything apart and found the ball nut to be the cause of failure. I'll be reaching out to Camaster first thing Tuesday (12/26) morning and get what I need to get up and running again.
                    Kipp Hockin
                    Stinger-1 SR-24
                    hockinguitars.com
                    615-554-0878

Comment

Use the online tech support query today to get in the queue.

good job digging in to the problem.
                      Charlie L

Comment

Working...
                      X