buying my second Camaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buying my second Camaster

Hello everyone, I haven’t posted for a while. I sold my MC4848 CNC along with my house and beautiful 2000 sf shop in April this year.
    We moved to a house much smaller than we had so I’m setting up a new shop in a 4th car garage and an adjacent room off the garage. I sold all my big equipment and have bought new smaller equipment all on stands with wheels so I can use it then store it against the wall. I even bought a Jet flip stand which is kind of neat. Both sides of the top are mounted with a tool so it will flip over to use the tool on the other side, basically getting two tools in the space of one.
    I’m getting ready to buy a SR-24 stinger. It’s pushing my limited space, but I think I can make it work.
    I’m going to order:
    1.7 kw HDS spindle,
    7W Engraving laser,
    Performance Package,
    SR-24 slot clamping table,
    SR-24 Recoil Lathe,
    I’ve been using Aspire since 2009 and didn’t sell it with my old MC4848 CNC. I currently have Aspire 10.5 but will update it to the current version. I was running Mach 3 for all that time so going to Wincnc will be a big learning experience.
    I’m thinking I will have a friend weld up a stand for the CNC and I can modify it to suite my needs.
    I can put in some removable shelves and drawers etc.
    I’m getting excited to get back cutting things.
    As always, any advice is appreciated.
    Mark

Stinger 1 SR-24
    Wincnc
    Aspire 11.0

Mark,
    Fun to read how excited you are. Glad to have you back.
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

A new machine is always a fun thing! If I end up not being able to build a new shop building here at our new place and have to turn my "temporary shop" in the 21x21 garage into a more permanent setup, I'll likely end up doing the same and going down to an SR-24 decked out like the configuration you detailed minus the ornamental lathe.

Don't fret about the transition from Mach3 to WinCNC. They do "the same thing" and the latter has a bit more to it. But the UI is easy to understand and use right from the start by an experienced CNC person...you'll learn the "frequently used" commands used for convenience in a reasonable period of time beyond that.

This is a good time to be ordering, too, with the end of the year promotion!
      ---
      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
      Festool "a good collection"
      Stubby - lathe
      Oneida Cyclone
      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments.
        Jim I ordered the lathe because I thought it might be fun to play with. This machine is purely a play thing. I enjoyed my first CNC so much and trying to keep my mind active now days at 76.
        I really liked the Aspire program and work with it hours at a time to get what I wanted.
        I'm hoping that the lathe might permit me to do some riffle stocks. I have a buddy that loves riffles and really wants to do some stocks. I know that might be difficult but sometimes that is the most gratifyingly.
        Trying to scale the shop way down is very hard for me as I was able to do most anything I wanted before the move. I live in an area that won't allow separate buildings.
        Mark

Stinger 1 SR-24
        Wincnc
        Aspire 11.0

Comment

There's been some discussion over time about rifle stocks..."in general" it seems many folks like to do 2 or 4 sided rather than using the ornamental lathe, but I agree it will be an engaging experience!
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I've got a couple questions.
            I would like to build my own stand for the SR-24 out of steel more like my old CM4848 had.
            I want to make it out of welded steel. I know Camaster has a 1 1/2 square tubing frame but I would like to make it heaver and not bolted together.
            If I get 2 by 2 or maybe 3 by 3 square tubing what should the wall thickness be?

The second question is I'm going to get a 1.7w spindle and it says I need a air compressor for the counter balance.

I have a small porter cable compressor but it makes a lot of noise when it runs. Does anyone know of a small compressor that might be better?

Thanks,
            Mark
            Stinger 1 SR-24
            Wincnc
            Aspire 11.0

Comment

.125" thick should be more than sufficient and it's easier to cut and work with, I would think.

The counterbalance doesn't "use" ait...just air pressure...so even the tiniest of compressors is just fine. In my temporary shop, I've been using my small portable Husky compressor because I didn't have the big compressor online when I first moved stuff in. It never runs.
              ---
              Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Mark, so glad to see you on the forum again! I have also downsized to a one bay garage and I'm loving it.

I placed my air compressor in our utility room and piped it in to my shop with pex. It's great having the air available without the noise.
                "If it was easy anyone could do it!"

Jim Williams, CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Comment

Hi Jim,
                  Great to talk to you again. I'm still have difficulty with the limited space.

I don't like walking carefully around things. I agree about the air in a separate room. I had that for not only the air compressor but also the dust collector. Both are in my little space now.

I've only been without my other CNC for about 10 months and I sure miss it.
                  I'm hopping I can get set back up in Jan or Feb.
                  Glad our move is over, after living somewhere for 20 years it's really tough to move.

Mark

Stinger 1 SR-24
                  Wincnc
                  Aspire 11.0

Comment

My stinger 1 SR 24 arrived.

I have my Stinger 1 SR 24 up on the table I built, and the electric is good to go.
                    I want to get the smallest air compressor I can find that will do the air assist on my 1.7 kw spindle. Can anyone tell me what compressor they bought that does a good job?
                    Do I just run a line up to the quick disconnect connector on the machine hookup supplied by Camaster?
                    My old Camaster had a router, so I've never had a spindle before.

My table came with a T-Slot Clamping table. The T-slots run across in the X direction.

There are (4) T-slots and (4) 15 ¼ by 25 separate panels that I need to install a spoil board on. My previous CNC just had a spoil board across the whole table. So, I’m planning to cut (4) MDF boards and glue them on leaving the T-slots open including the metal edges open, is that what should be done?
                    I have a bunch of other questions, but I want to get the machine running first.
                    Thanks for the help.

Mark
                    Stinger 1 SR-24
                    Wincnc
                    Aspire 11.0

Comment

The air assist doesn't "use" air...just pressure...so you can literally use a very tiny compressor to do the job. While I generally have mine hooked up to the air network for my shop, when I moved into the temporary shop I have now, I initially just used a really small Husky compressor I use for home improvement tasks in the house or for when my business was still open and I needed to install something out at a client's home. Standard hose and quick connect would be the normal way to do it.
                      ---
                      Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                      Stubby - lathe
                      Oneida Cyclone
                      more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Mark, some good reading here perhaps?
                        https://www.camheads.org/forum/camas...size#post74841
                        Charlie L
                        Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
                        WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

I would simply glue on a piece of MDF over your table, slightly larger than the total area that your spindle can cut. Then cut 3/8" slots through the MDF to access your T-slots, and cut a profile around the perimeter of the spoilboard so you now have 4 known corners and sides to reference against, and T-slot grooves that are exactly lined up with your T-slots.

I am also moving from my house with a 2000sf shop and using the large 3rd bay in my new garage as my shop. It worked out pretty well for space, as I was able to find a used Felder CF741 combo machine that has a 9' slider, 16" jointer and planer, and a spindle molder all in one compact unit, and still fit my 408 CNC (along with a bandsaw, dust collector, and a mitre saw bench across the whole garage). Don't know if I could downsize to a smaller CNC! That combo machine sure is nice, and sure takes up less space than individual tools!!
                          Russell Crawford
                          Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
                          Alberta, Canada
                          www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Working...
                          X