No announcement yet.

attaching spoil board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had my machine for a while now and have used it very little. I hope to use it more this winter. I have a question, when I first got it I just mounted a MDF spoil board and surfaced that. Should I have removed the tracks, surfaced the original board it came with and then add my MDF, and surfaced that? My thinking tells me it is fine the way I did it and it would be the same even flatness either way because once surfaced the top layer is flat.

Comment

That's how I did mine John , I did not resurface the original board , I just attached 3/4 mdf over the original with nylon screws countersunk and surfaced that once installed , I have seen it done both ways but don't know why you would need to surface both , unless the original is really out of plum /square with the router /spindle

Herb Holmes

Stinger I
      Performance Pkg
      Slotted table
      WINCNC
      Aspire 8.505
      Porter Cable 2.25
      CAMaster Stand
      KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough

Comment

Originally posted by adirondak5 View Post
        That's how I did mine John , I did not resurface the original board , I just attached 3/4 mdf over the original with nylon screws countersunk and surfaced that once installed , I have seen it done both ways but don't know why you would need to surface both , unless the original is really out of plum /square with the router /spindle

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Comment

How about on Phenolic Table Top? Glue or Screws?

Originally posted by ericw View Post
          Okay Guys, another new guy question. Attaching 1" MDF spoil board with screws or glue or...?

Eric, Owner
          Inner Mountain Rifle Stocks
          Stinger II W/indexer
          1.7 kw spindle
          I got the Phenolic top so, would Screw be best for spoil board?

Thanks
          abesau
          Stinger I - SR-23
          3.5 HP Milwaukee Router Model 5625-20
          Performance Package Pro
          Phenolic Table Top
          Software - WinCNC
          Design Software - CUT2D

Comment

Do you haft to glue your spoil board down? I will be using a 4x8 phenolic top with hurricane vac. I guess I don’t understand gluing it down. Also, the comment made about surfacing it down and gluing another one on top, wouldn’t the glue block the suction?

Comment

No and probably not on phenolic. i have used nylon screws tapped into phenolic yet you can seal it with slicone as well at the edges. they key is to keep it from moving when taking parts off.. do you have popup pins ?
              James McGrew
              CAMaster ATC 508
              The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
              https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I have a 25 x 36 inch Stinger phenolic top with vacuum and I use a .75" Trupan ultralight mdf spoilboard. When I turn my Storm vacuum on it sucks that spoilboard down and it is not moving. I use no glue or screws but I run painters tape around the edges of the mdf. I have screwed up a few times and cut through the mdf and it does not move at all. When I put a project on it I have to surround it with scrap wood to concentrate the vacuum. Unless I do not put enough around the project or the feed rate is too fast it doe not move. If you are new to the cnc world with a new machine why not start with the simplest method which is use your vacuum only after you skim both sides and seal the edges with paint, tape or whatever works. When I first started I just bought mdf from the big box store and use it because I could not find the Trupan back then. Now that I have the Trupan mdf I don't really see that much difference. I have a vacuum gauge mount in my pvc so I can tell how well it is pulling vacuum the number difference between the ultralight and big box wasn't significant. I think everyone has different machines with varied setups so you have to try the easy way first than if it doesn't work go to the new step. There is a learning curve to all of it. FWIW
                Keith Hyde, Winchester, VA
                2016 Stinger 1, 1.7KW HF Spindle HSD
                Performance Package Pro, Vac, lathe, Aspire 10
                Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
                Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
                hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Comment

No pop up pins. I wish! I went with the stinger 3 with x3. 5 hp main spindle and routers on the two sides. My plan is to cut cabinet box parts with it. 5mm drill bit for shelf pin holes, 3/8 compression bit for cut out and 1/4 down shear for dado. I plan to onion skin full sheet I guess. How long do you leave vacuum on while gluing edge?

Comment

Originally posted by ericw View Post
                    Okay Guys, another new guy question. Attaching 1" MDF spoil board with screws or glue or...?
                    There are several ways to attach the spoil board. I use screws.

Attached Files
                    Bruce Page
                    Retired Hobbyist
                    2013 Stinger 1 SR23
                    FTC
                    Laser Pointer
                    HSD 1.7kw Spindle
                    KRS USB Keypad
                    Mick Martin Table
                    Aspire 10.512, WinCNC
                    brucep128@gmail.com

Comment