Panther vac question- black box or 7.5hp pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panther vac question- black box or 7.5hp pump

Hi, I recently pulled the trigger on a Panther with ATC, 5HP HSD, 5x8. I cut sheet goods almost exclusively for cabinet parts, my shop is residential with 200A service I run a dust collector on 20amp breaker FLA, a Quincy 80 gallon 3.5HP compressor 30amp breaker, CNC needs 50A. I do not need long duty cycles this is a one man show here. Which vac system do you recommend?

The best long term investment is going to be the larger, more professional pump, particularly in reliability. The BlackBox machine is nice, but it's based on vacuum cleaner motors (the reason it can run on 240v single phase power) and those motors have a definite lifespan. I believe you can run the vacuum pump off a VFD and your single phase power with no issue and that's the most cost effective way to get three phase for a big, single motor like that.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

i have black box on 5x8 panther. i dont do sheet goods every day. if did would want the bigger setup. for vacume.
      panther 508 ATC
      7watt laser
      recoil

Comment

Mine is 25 hp FPZ we cut 40-50 a day, 5 x 8 atc
        James McGrew
        CAMaster ATC 508
        The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
        https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I don't see the VFD specifically listed in my exchange with CAMaster sales on the Busch pump but likely it is used. A comparable Becker in the same HP rating has a VFD option for an additional $1,700 or I can get over this single phase hurdle and buy a phase perfect for the shop and be able to use three phase elsewhere. The Hurricane is 30amps, the 7.5hp vacs are 60amps. The Hurricane is a third of the cost...

Comment

seen video of camaster running a vacume pump on 220 single with vfd. was preatty good looking setup.
            panther 508 ATC
            7watt laser
            recoil

Comment

Damn James, I need to come see your operation. I can get 30-35 sheets of 3/4" per day humping it. I feel you may be using other tooling for drilling or something to get that kind of throughput.
              Impressive.
              I did get 65 sheets of 1/4" the other day and that was only a half day. I like 1/4".
              Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
              New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Comment

Working...
              X