Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • possible new shop and I want to improve

Hello,
    Hope y'all are well. Right now my shop is in our two car garage. A move might be in our future and my shop will likely be another two car garage. Hoping for a house with no HOA but that might be tricky. I'd like to build some sort of lean-to shed outside a new 2 car garage that will house my Clearvue 1800 dust collector, my Blackbox Cyclone, and an upright air compressor. Would I need to have any type of barrier between the three items? I'm not sure how air flow would work if all three of them are going at the same time (which would be unlikely but should be planned for). I do not use a filter with the dust collector-- just vent outside. I also just found this which I might be able to double up on to further reduce noise.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-...fRbrh4i5QLZ_OU

Here are some of the links that have got me thinking.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/worksho...utside-the-box
    https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/337137
    https://www.routerforums.com/threads...outside.37494/

many thanks for any thoughts
    cheers
    stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
    3kw spindle
    servos
    blackbox cyclone
    Jtech 7w pro laser
    air assist
    laser crosshair
    ftc
    recoil ready
    vectric

Central Texas

I see no reason why your dust collection cyclone, your vacuum system and your compressor cannot coexist in the same space other than you may need to manage heat. The Blackbox unit, in particular, can get pretty darn hot with those repurposed vacuum cleaner motors and heat is your enemy. You give no indication as to your geography (you can put that in your profile) and that certainly would have implication relative to seasonal needs.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. I have the blackbox cyclone exhausting now with a 5ft flex pipe-- I would make sure to do something similar-ish to make sure heat is getting outside of the shed / lean to.

I'm pretty sure I have 'Central Texas' in my profile-- does it not show up?

cheers
      stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
      3kw spindle
      servos
      blackbox cyclone
      Jtech 7w pro laser
      air assist
      laser crosshair
      ftc
      recoil ready
      vectric

Central Texas

Comment

I copy/pasted my reply from SMC where location does display on posts if in the profile. Sorry, I should have removed that part here as the setup is different.
        ---
        Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
        Festool "a good collection"
        Stubby - lathe
        Oneida Cyclone
        more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
        Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
        Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I have all 3 of those plus an air dryer for the compressor all in the same sound reducing closet. I have them running concurrently pretty frequently without any issue. The DC and blackbox are on together a lot for obvious reasons and depending on if I am using the compressor for extra jobs outside of tool changes on the CNC it kicks on. As long as you have adequate air flow in and out of the room it works great. Like Jim said heat will be your biggest enemy. Also make sure you put an air dryer on your compressor. I know how sticky those summers in Central Texas can get.
          4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
          Mister system
          Phenolic Vac table
          Hurricane Vac
          Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Working...
          X