Tool randomly going deeper than simulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tool randomly going deeper than simulation

I am using fusion 360 to model a guitar neck. During 3d pocket milling of the back of the neck, the tool randomly digs about 1/8" deeper than it should for one path then returns to normal operation. I have no idea what is causing this, it doesn't seem to happen during parallel cutting or other operations, just pocket. If it was the machine losing count then it would have to "regain" count to resume as it does. Simulation in fusion360 does not show the cut that is in error. It looks like its following the right x, y path but just screws up the z temporarily.

What is causing this? Machine runs fine before and after. I have a stinger 1 and I am using the post processor that comes with fusion360.

sr-24 w/ gantry lift, FTC, 1kw spindle

Can you check the z values in the tap file in the problem location? I suspect they might be lower than expected.
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

as charlie suggested -
      does fusion have a "preview toolpath" feature where it will animate the cutout of the part? sorry not familiar with fusion, just grabbing at straws here.

if it does, you may be able to slide the mouse around the area that the deep cuts occur and see if the same (deeper) cuts were in the toolpaths. if they aren't there, i suspect that they are in the hardware...
      Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
      6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
      near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

I'm new to CAM but I do use Fusion. Which pocket operation are you using?

I have a similar behavior while using a morphed spiral. At the very end, the bit plunges to Z0. Sorry to say I haven't looked into it because it's not doing any harm. One thing to note though, is I do see it in the simulation and the toolpath in Fusion, so take a closer look.

If I needed to get rid of it I would probably look at the Avoid Touch Surfaces settings for the path and/or the Tool Containment and Contact Point Boundary settings under the geometry tab. Like I said, I'm still figuring this all out myself so I don't know if those will do the trick but it's where I would start looking.

- William
        Cobra Elite 408, ATC, 5 hp spindle, vacuum table, 4th axis, Fusion 360

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
          I'm new to CAM but I do use Fusion. Which pocket operation are you using?

I have a similar behavior while using a morphed spiral. At the very end, the bit plunges to Z0. Sorry to say I haven't looked into it because it's not doing any harm. One thing to note though, is I do see it in the simulation and the toolpath in Fusion, so take a closer look.

If I needed to get rid of it I would probably look at the Avoid Touch Surfaces settings for the path and/or the Tool Containment and Contact Point Boundary settings under the geometry tab. Like I said, I'm still figuring this all out myself so I don't know if those will do the trick but it's where I would start looking.

- William
          3d pocket clearing, but there is no option for Avoid Touch Surfaces from what I see like on other methods.
          sr-24 w/ gantry lift, FTC, 1kw spindle

Comment

Originally posted by kt88saturate View Post

3d pocket clearing, but there is no option for Avoid Touch Surfaces from what I see like on other methods.
            Did you get this figured out? You might also try setting the bottom height to bottom of your pocket
            Cobra Elite 408, ATC, 5 hp spindle, vacuum table, 4th axis, Fusion 360

Comment

Working...
            X