Double Sided Machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Sided Machining

Have any of you had success with a large double sided project maybe 4 ft. X 4ft. I plan on using 4 index pins and need the partial through cuts to match the through cuts from the other side. I don't want to use tabs and cut all the way through from one side.
    Does my question make any sense?
    Stinger II SR44 with servos
    Recoil Prep
    3KW spindle
    7 Watt Laser
    Pro Option Pack
    Hand Held Keypad
    T-Slot Table with Hurricane Vacuum.
    Aspire 10.5
    WinCnc

Theoretically, it should work just fine as long as you're flipping about an axis. Be sure you use the mirroring tool to insure your pin placement is the same on both sides of that axis if you are going to use four pins. I usually use two smack on the flip point.

I have not done something that large. But I use two sided for guitar work, boxes, urns, etc. My X-Y zero is center point and "most often" I flip horizontally (x axis) for the work I do.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

For your cuts to line up exactly, a lot of things have to be exact. Your spindle must be trammed perfectly AND the Z-rails also have to be perfectly perpendicular to the spoilboard. If the z-rails are off a little, your index holes in the table won't be in the same position as the index holes you drill in your workpiece (which is a different z-height than the spoilboard holes) and when flipped that difference will be doubled in the amount your cuts are off. Your gantry must be perfectly square to the Y axis. When you cut a square, it has to be PERFECTLY square. Any discrepancy will be doubled when you cut the second side. Your cutting tool cannot have any flex in it, as it will flex in opposite directions from the first side cuts to the second side cuts, and they won't line up.
      Russell Crawford
      Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
      Alberta, Canada
      www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Hey Peter,
        I was browsing the schedule for the Vectric user group online meeting and saw this session. It might be of interest. https://ugm.vectric.com/session/two-sided-shop-clock

here is the description: In this session, Mark Lindsay will be walking through the process of creating a two-sided shop clock for his new shop! He’ll also share with you how to locate your dowels so that the material aligns perfectly when you flip the part over.

Greg
        Last edited by gwdwoodworking; 09-09-2021, 07:13 AM.
        Greg Dickinson
        S3 SR48, X3 package, vacuum table,4kw spindle, recoil ready
        Vcarve Pro 11, Wincnc
        Woodmizer 40 Sawmill, with Nyle Kiln
        Sawstop TS, Powermatic planner, Jointer, Drill Press
        Home shop build on our farm
        Easley, SC

Comment

"If the z-rails are off a little, your index holes in the table won't be in the same position as the index holes you drill in your workpiece"

I get around this by having the indexing holes cut as the first toolpath on the first side to be cut. My holes are .25" and are cut through the workpiece just enough to count without throwing a low-Z boundary error and then carefully made deeper with a drill during the flipping process.
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Becker View Post
            "If the z-rails are off a little, your index holes in the table won't be in the same position as the index holes you drill in your workpiece"

I get around this by having the indexing holes cut as the first toolpath on the first side to be cut. My holes are .25" and are cut through the workpiece just enough to count without throwing a low-Z boundary error and then carefully made deeper with a drill during the flipping process.
            If your z-rails are not perfectly orthogonal to the spoilboard, the holes you drill will be at a slight angle, so the hole in the top of your workpiece and the hole in the spoilboard as you plunge through the workpiece will be in slightly different positions (you will plunge at a slight angle). 0.01" is not noticeable when drilling a hole, but when the piece is flipped and the error is now doubled, you will definitely feel 0.02" discrepancy between the front side of a cut and the back side.
            Russell Crawford
            Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
            Alberta, Canada
            www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Found out today that spindle tramming in both x and y are out. Will have to fix this first.
              Stinger II SR44 with servos
              Recoil Prep
              3KW spindle
              7 Watt Laser
              Pro Option Pack
              Hand Held Keypad
              T-Slot Table with Hurricane Vacuum.
              Aspire 10.5
              WinCnc

Comment

Yea, when reading Russell's comment above, the first word that came into my head was "tramming". :)
                ---
                Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                Stubby - lathe
                Oneida Cyclone
                more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

And I guess the thicker the work piece the more noticeable the tramming error will be. It might barely be noticed if cutting 1/4" thick material but more noticeable when cutting something 1" thick.

Pete
                  ----------
                  2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
                  Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
                  Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
                  VCarve Pro 11.0
                  www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Working...
                  X