No announcement yet.

Laser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, there likely isn't a very large group of folks with the laser engraver as it was only added as an option not all that long ago.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

You can try contacting Jtech directly and see if you can upgrade to the 14W. They'll know what is involved and they are super helpful
      4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
      Mister system
      Phenolic Vac table
      Hurricane Vac
      Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

I have talked with Jay about it and he said CAMaster purchased a couple 14 watt lasers for new orders. The main issue is the physical mounting for the laser and offset values. Anyway I guess that I will need to contact Wincnc about enabling the Vectric laser module.
        Stinger II SR44 with servos
        Recoil Prep
        3KW spindle
        7 Watt Laser
        Pro Option Pack
        Hand Held Keypad
        T-Slot Table with Hurricane Vacuum.
        Aspire 10.5
        WinCnc

Comment

Correct. You'll have to call WinCNC and get the laser module for WinCNC enabled (there is a cost associated). WinCNC will also download your .ini file, make changes adding buttons for the laser when enabling the laser module. That's different than the Vectric Laser Module. That is an add-on to Vcarve or Aspire that enables advanced laser toolpathing. You can do the basic laser toolpathing by default in Vcarve/Aspire.
          4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
          Mister system
          Phenolic Vac table
          Hurricane Vac
          Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

I am currently in San Diego attending the Vectric User Group Meeting here. Today Jay Johnson, the owner of JTech gave a talk about their lasers and he was very much promoting the 14W version as well as a new prototype (I believe to be 20W, but quite honestly I was not taking notes on this one). I went up to him after his presentation and told him that I have a Stinger 1 SR23 with their 7W laser attachment. I told him that I believed that there is some confusion on the CAMheads site about whether the 14W version is compatible with this CAMaster. He said emphatically that it was and that CAMaster is currently buying this 14W model from JTech. He further said that he would call Michael just to clarify any confusion that may exist. That was the extent of our conversation as he had a number of other attendees around him waiting to ask their own questions. Hope that this helps!
            US Army Vietnam vet

Stinger 1 SR-23,
            1.7 KW HSD Spindle,
            Performance Package Pro,
            USB,
            T-Slot table, (Y-axis configuration),
            WinCNC,
            VCarvePro,
            Aspire 11,
            7W Laser Engraver,

Comment

I also talked with Jay regarding adding a laser to my Stinger, in addition to upgrading in the future, I asked about the need to purchase all from camaster or partly from Camaster and part direct from J-Tech. He told me I can buy it all from Camaster or I can buy the laser from him & contact WinCNC for the laser upgrade. And as Lewis says it’s easy to upgrade a 7 or 14 to the 2x when it gets released. I was not clear if just the head was swapped out or if there was more. He also mentioned that they plan to offer an “upgrade package” after releasing the new quad (20W)

I heard back from Camaster this morning (Cody); I need to correct my post. Cody did say that Camaster does not provide a retrofit for existing units, and that I should get my Laser from J-tech. Which means that I will need to also contact WinCNC for the upgrade and that they (WinCNC) will remote into my Stinger and upgrade my User interface.
              <Sept 26>

Last edited by scubanimal; 09-26-2022, 10:25 AM.
              Ian Martin
              StingerI - SR24 with Recoil Index & Shark HD2
              WinCNC, Aspire, PhotoVcarve,

Comment

Will the current mounting bracket on the machine be compatible with the 14 watt?
                Stinger II SR44 with servos
                Recoil Prep
                3KW spindle
                7 Watt Laser
                Pro Option Pack
                Hand Held Keypad
                T-Slot Table with Hurricane Vacuum.
                Aspire 10.5
                WinCnc

Comment

An update related to Ian's comment above: Cody did say that Camaster does not provide a retrofit for existing units, and that I should get my Laser from J-tech. When I spoke with Jay Johnson he specifically said that if you wanted to upgrade a CAMaster (in my case a Stinger 1) that we needed to go to CAMaster. Sounds like both parties need to talk to each other about "who is on first."
                  US Army Vietnam vet

Stinger 1 SR-23,
                  1.7 KW HSD Spindle,
                  Performance Package Pro,
                  USB,
                  T-Slot table, (Y-axis configuration),
                  WinCNC,
                  VCarvePro,
                  Aspire 11,
                  7W Laser Engraver,

Comment

That CAMaster does.not do retrofits of this nature makes sense. That the product provider would.not help the client do this does not
                    James McGrew
                    CAMaster ATC 508
                    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
                    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I also was at the 2022 UGM in San Diego and spoke with Jay at length during one of the sessions that neither he nor I wanted to attend.

1.0 If you have a newer 7w Jtec laser (last few years), it has the ability to focus up to 3" from the work surface - not just 0.10" as received and calibrated from the factory. Jay says not to be afraid to run the 7w at 100% power, it is designed to run 10,000 hrs at 100% power. The most common complaint he gets regarding "my laser isn't burning as good as it once did" . . . is a result of not cleaning the lens. He says to clean it often with a Q-tip + alcohol.

2.0 The [focus further away from the workpiece] calibration re-adjustment is done by turning the lens (barrel) CCW. Jay cautioned me not to turn it too much or the barrel w/ lens would come off in my hand. While he was showing me this trick he unscrewed it too far and it came off in his hand. There are 3 pieces - lens, barrel, and a spring. In this instance, the lens remained inside the barrel but the spring did come out.

3.0 I asked how Jay how he was going to get that back together (as it is difficult to get your fingers up in that area). He showed me how to remove the orange (plastic) shield. It comes off with some difficulty, but it did come off. He spread the bottom a bit and got lower part of the shield out, then the upper part of the shield came off second.

4.0 He put the spring back in the barrel and got it to engage the threads after a few tries. I wished I had counted the number of turns to tighten it all the way HOME but I didn't.

5.0 CAUTION: If you screw the barrel all the way HOME, that is NOT the calibration position for 0.10" focus from the factory. So before you go messing around with this (as I will soon do), take off the plastic shield and put a mark on the barrel - then screw it home and record that position so you can get back to 0.10" factory calibration setting.

6.0 From there screw the barrel 1/4 turn CCW and run a "ramp test". This is done by elevating one end of a piece of wood and lasering a line along the length of the board. Then, unscrew the barrel another 1/4 turn CCW, and repeat the ramp test. Repeat this ramp testing until you get to the distance you want to laser a workpiece. (I want to make a topographical map that is ~2" deep and laser all the roads, boundaries, words, etc..)

7.0 Camaster is buying 14w Jtec lasers from Jay - so they are doing something with them (probably new machines). Their upgrade path is unclear. I like my 7w for engraving but it doesn't cut wood (hence the reason you want to upgrade to 14w). But wait, there may be a BETTER (DIY) solution.

8.0 By the end of this year (hopefully), Jtec will offer a 21w+ (might be as high as 25w) 4-diode laser. Jay had one at the show. The initial production run is only for 200 units so if you want to get in on this first run, call Jay and get your name on the list. My plan is to leave my 7w laser (electronic board, mounting, cables, etc.) alone and ADD the 21w+ laser myself. The 21w+ laser won't be that good for lasering but it can cut 3/4" wood with multiple passes (Jay has done it). Fume exhaustion is a whole other topic. DO NOT USE A VACUUM OF ANY KIND. Wood dust + static electricity + laser could spark a small explosion and you really don't want that.

9.0 You will have to mount this 21w+ laser onto your machine yourself. You will also need to install a second electronic board inside your machine. CAMaster isn't going to help. The mounting for the 14w is also different than the 7w so I think that is the reason Camaster is balking at upgrading existing machines. Also, the electronics board and wire to the 21w laser are different as are all the connectors (except for power input to the electronic board). Jay was willing to coach me through this process of mounting one to my CAMaster when I get one so I'll keep y'all posted.

Comment

Damn, nice post with some great info.
                        I am very interested in a more powerful laser for my 2020 Stinger1.

Thank you!
                        Pete
                        ----------
                        2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1kW Spindle
                        Performance Pkg w/Gantry Lift, FTC
                        Phenolic Top, Storm Vac, JTech Laser
                        VCarve Pro 11.0
                        www.gotoguysmarine.com

Comment

Working...
                        X