X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Multiple roughing passes

Happy Saturday all!

question on rough passes on aspire.

Say I’m carving out a 3d model, and I’d like the fastest possible run time.

can I have one rough pass with a 1/2” end mill,
    And one roughing pass with a 1/4”?

does the program automatically know to only mill out the areas the 1/2” couldn’t reach? When I run simulate (after simulating the 1/2” first), it appears like the 1/4” is roughing the entire stock like the 1/2” toolpath doesn’t exist, even when both of them have been calculated and the order of the tools lathes is 1/2” then 1/4” then 1/32” tapered ball. I’m hoping this makes sense. In a perfect world, I want to the 1/2” to take the bulk of the roughing, then the 1/4” to take the smaller areas before I use the tapered ball as a finishing. Trying to cut down a my finishing pass time.

thank you!
    alex
    vectric aspire 8.5

You're talking about REST (REmaining STock) machining. You can't do that easily with 3D roughing. Version 11 allows REST machining with the 3D finish toolpath, although I've already opened a bug on that. Generally, I find the load on a tapered ballnose isn't that great, and may skip the roughing toolpath altogether. The first finish cut is the hardest, with full material contact at depth. The rest tend to be taking so little material off at a time, there's not much force on the bit.
    Gary
    2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
    Fusion 360
    Aspire

Comment

My first cut is to use an center spiral tool path. Virtually no load on finish bit. I have not used a roughing path in a good 5 years
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Do you guys slow down the speed for that initial plunge? Got an amana bit 1/4” shank 1/32” tapered ball wondering if the initial plunge of about 3/4” would break it

Comment

If you plunge a 1/32" TBN 3/4" on the first pass it's just about guaranteed you will break that bit at any speed. I would use a V11 3D finish toolpath with a clearance bit. That is what it's designed to do.
          Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-26-2021, 01:56 PM.
          Steve
          Laser crosshair
          Wireless Pendant
          Aspire 10.5

Comment

I guess what you could do is put a circle at the center of the starting positing slightly over 1/4", and then do a roughing pass constraining to the vector using a 1/4" bit.
            Gary
            2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
            Fusion 360
            Aspire

Comment

Working...
            X