Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • z didn't retract to travel, cut through area it shouldn't have

Hello,
    I'm using vectric aspire. I'm cutting out a barbell. The bit didn't retract upwards to travel over some of the numbering / lettering detail, causing a big gouge. I'm hoping I can salvage the piece with filler (it'll be painted black too). I paused the cut. Not sure how to prevent it from happening. The gouge is about .6 inches deep. Here is what the preview showed, which is not what happened: https://youtube.com/shorts/OOkfVCqb-7A?feature=share. I've attached the file I'm using along with other photos and screenshots. Thanks for any help! Really appreciate it.
    Attached Files
    stuart

2021 Stinger II 4ft x 4ft
    3kw spindle
    servos
    blackbox cyclone
    Jtech 7w pro laser
    air assist
    laser crosshair
    ftc
    recoil ready
    vectric

Central Texas

Check your z-gap for rapid moves and plunge (z1 and z2). On the toolpath tab, click on "Set". Scroll down to the bottom.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-17-2022, 02:31 PM.
    Steve
    Laser crosshair
    Wireless Pendant
    Aspire 11

Comment

Stuart,
      Were you haven't trouble a while back when raising Z ?
      If yes, did the factory help you resolve?
      Does the machine Z value change after this drag? In other words is it no longer set at the right height?
      I'm sure you have heard before, if the preview looks okay, then it is a machine problem.
      If it is 0.6 inches deep, that is crazy deep. Check the tap file to see what values are shown for your fast moves, like on the line where the problem happened.
      Is the model at the top of the material, or below the top? (I can't open your file with my Aspire version) It looks like you have a model.
      Charlie L
      Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
      WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Good memory, Charlie. Many thanks. I'm embarrassed to say that z issue from a while back was just me not realizing that I needed to clear soft limits. So that's sorted.

I'm not sure if it's related, but now that you mention it, my z limit switch wasn't working when I received the unit. I had to reconnect it with the help of tech support on the phone. I reckon that's resolved now.

I will work on a closer look at the tap file. I don't know whether to hope for a hardware or software issue...

Anybody use G Wizard Editor? I suspect that might have helped.

My best current guess is there was something wrong with how I imported the STL into vectric. I had trouble with it and ended up importing it, then scaling z height.

I just redid it all in a new file and I think the next iteration will work-- I just need to give up on the janky side and machine the other side-- need to think of indexing strategies since I had already cut out 2" of the outer profile cut.

Steve, my z1 and z2 were both at .2. I'll set them to double that for the next try.

Many thanks and I'll report back.
        stuart

3kw spindle
        servos
        blackbox cyclone
        Jtech 7w pro laser
        air assist
        laser crosshair
        ftc
        recoil ready
        vectric

Central Texas

Comment

I use notepad ++ for editing the tap files. Don’t know about the wizard tool. However, if it costs money that explains why.
          Charlie L
          Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
          WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Well I figured out at least one of my embarrassing problems. It accounts for why the depth of cut in the pocketed area was so much more than it should have been. I set zero based on the machine bed but when determining my material dimensions I forgot to include the 3/4 inch supplemental raptor spoilboard...
            stuart

3kw spindle
            servos
            blackbox cyclone
            Jtech 7w pro laser
            air assist
            laser crosshair
            ftc
            recoil ready
            vectric

Central Texas

Comment

---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Festool "a good collection"
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
              Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Yep. That’s the feeling. The number of instances I make dumb mistakes is supposed to taper off at some point, right?
                stuart

3kw spindle
                servos
                blackbox cyclone
                Jtech 7w pro laser
                air assist
                laser crosshair
                ftc
                recoil ready
                vectric

Central Texas

Comment

Originally posted by swallace84 View Post
                  Yep. That’s the feeling. The number of instances I make dumb mistakes is supposed to taper off at some point, right?
                  Yup. 16 years.... Still waiting
                  Gary Campbell
                  Servo Control Upgrades
                  GCnC411@gmail.com
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Working...
                  X