Post Processors - Inches and Millimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Post Processors - Inches and Millimeter

My post processor for VCarve is called "CAMaster Toolchange INCH". Occasionally, I use millimeters for my projects. Does that mean that I need to convert back to inches to use that PP? If so, is there a millimeter PP - I did not see one...?

If this is a Vectric PP there is a Post processor section on the Vectric forum. PP are generally created by the software providor to seel their product. I amy have a MM PP but i cannot check now
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Thanks for the info - I did a little more research and I think I can just adjust my INCH PP to use MM by changing the UNITS value.

Comment

I don't think you have to do anything. You set your units to mm and design in that. When you use the INCH postprocessor, everything is converted to inches to run on your machine. I double checked this in the g-code with a simple test routing on the lines of a square at x0y0.
        Gary
        2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
        Fusion 360
        Aspire

Comment

Interesting - I think I would have to agree based on the Vetric docs - "The units that the file outputs (INCHES or MM)". Now that I think about it, the machine needs to understand either inches or MM. If you send it MM GCode, how would it know it was MM? So, you have to output in inches no matter what for the Camaster...

Comment

The machine thinks in steps and pulses. it will do mm or Inches, it is the software to PP whiche determines this. There are CAMasters running Metric products

I wanna think i have seen a metric PP on vectric but it has been years since I have needed it but i have had clients bring files written in metric.
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508
            The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
            https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

While I've seen from the docs that while you can natively set WinCNC up to be in mm or inches, the gui does allow you to change the units at will. So they automatically convert the correct units to whatever the controller needs. But the original question was if doing a design in mm means you need a metric pp, and you don't. The inch one works just fine for a CAMaster setup to run inches.
              Gary
              2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
              Fusion 360
              Aspire

Comment

You can do your drawings and toolpathing using metric measurements. You still use the INCH PP(s) because your "machine" is calibrated in inches from the factory unless you ordered it special with metric calibration. The system will do any translation. I personally do most of my work in metric, but Camaster Tool Change INCH is my PP across the board.
                ---
                Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                Festool "a good collection"
                Stubby - lathe
                Oneida Cyclone
                more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Thanks for all of the valuable info and help!!

Comment

Working...
                  X