Cutter Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cutter Comp

Back in the day when I ran CNC machining centers, the Allen-Bradley controllers (IIRC) had a cutter compensation feature that allowed you to plug in the actual endmill diameter into the program. It was very useful if you had an undersized/oversized endmill.

I'm wondering if doing a temporary edit of the cutter diameter in V-carve or Aspire would give the same result, for example telling the software my endmill is Ø.240 when it's really Ø.250 I can see this being useful in running a light cleanup cut after running a stepped profile cut. It would almost eliminate any edge sanding.

Is this possible?
    Bruce Page
    Retired Hobbyist
    2013 Stinger 1 SR23
    FTC
    Laser Pointer
    HSD 1.7kw Spindle
    KRS USB Keypad
    Mick Martin Table
    Aspire 10.512, WinCNC
    Chips-a-flyin
    brucep128@gmail.com

Bruce...
    More than possible, its do-able! That said, it requires more work than using the machining allowance feature built into the software.
    Gary Campbell
    Servo Control Upgrades
    GCnC411@gmail.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Thanks Gary. What do you mean by "it requires more work than using the machining allowance feature built into the software." Wouldn't it just be a simple matter of generating another tool path with the undersize cutter geometry?
      Bruce Page
      Retired Hobbyist
      2013 Stinger 1 SR23
      FTC
      Laser Pointer
      HSD 1.7kw Spindle
      KRS USB Keypad
      Mick Martin Table
      Aspire 10.512, WinCNC
      Chips-a-flyin
      brucep128@gmail.com

Comment

cutcomp=T# D#

Sets up cutter compensation to account for bit sharpening and wear.
        T# is the type (0=does not insert entry move - default, 1=automatically insert entry move).
        D# a negative number here will invert G41 and G42 commands left and right compensation.

This can be done according to the Wincnc manual page 50

Why not just measure the router bit diameter and enter the exact valve into the tool database library.
        Last edited by Mick Martin; 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM.
        Mick Martin
        mickmartin3@comcast.net
        CAMaster Cobra 508 ATC + Recoil + Popup Pins
        Digitize Touch Probe
        Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
        Hurricane vacuum
        WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
        www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!

Comment

Bruce...
          Based on your comments, I assumed that you were looking for quality. Vectric products have the ability to cut a few thousandths outside the line and then make a last full pass in either direction... a glamour pass I call it, with just a mouse click on the original toolpath. That's why I said it was not as easy. See attached
          Attached Files
          Gary Campbell
          Servo Control Upgrades
          GCnC411@gmail.com
          https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

Thanks Mick, Gary. I have seen that but never put 2&2 together. Or is it I can't see the forest for the trees...

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
            Bruce Page
            Retired Hobbyist
            2013 Stinger 1 SR23
            FTC
            Laser Pointer
            HSD 1.7kw Spindle
            KRS USB Keypad
            Mick Martin Table
            Aspire 10.512, WinCNC
            Chips-a-flyin
            brucep128@gmail.com

Comment

I know this is an ancient thread, but I have a question about cutter compensation and I thought keeping it all in this thread would be helpful.

I'm using a 0.25" endmill to cut mating parts from 1/2" mdf. I've drawn an offset in the parts such that with a brand new endmill they mate perfectly.
              As the endmill wears, but still cuts cleanly, the fit starts to tighten up to the point where the parts don't mate.
              As a hack, I've created duplicate CAD files / gcode where I've defined a new endmill in the tool library with a 0.24" diameter which solves the problem. It's a PITA though because I have literally 100s of part files.

My question is about how to use cutter compensation. I can enable cutter compensation in RhinoCAD, which I believe then allows me to use the same code and just set the tool diameter on the fly in WinCNC. Have I got this idea right? Where in CNC can I override the tool diameter?

I have a Stinger SR44-X3 if that's important.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X