New Stinger II - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • New Stinger II - First Impressions

This is my first post, but Ive been lurking and soaking up info for months now. I just received my new Stinger II and thought Id share my first impressions and my buying experience with CAMaster.

First, Id like to thank everyone here, this forum is VERY informative and was a huge part in my decision to purchase my first CNC through CAMaster, this has to be CAMaster's biggest sales tool because getting information out of CAMaster can prove to be difficult, but I'll chalk that up to the pandemic and Im sure a Stinger II purchase isn't their top priority.

Ive been a woodworking hobbyist for over 30 years, caught the bug in Middle school and have been piddling ever since. I've used this hobby over the years to supplement my income, keep the wife happy, and to simply enjoy the craft and make some cool stuff. I retired this past year and decided to turn my garage into a shop and although I have absolutely no experience whatsoever, I couldn't think of a better addition than a CNC and was excited to learn a new skill. I started my search as I'm sure a lot of people do with FB/Instagram posts, and scouring the internet looking at Shapeoko, Onefinity, The Shark, and the likes, but the more I searched, the more I realized I was looking at inexpensive hobby machines that I would most likely want to upgrade in short order, so I decided to bite the bullet and make a bigger investment, booked a trip to Las Vegas and went to the AWFS show to look at CNCs and make a final decision. I met with Cody, he was very happy to take my order and even gave me a free set of bits. I was on my way!

I received my new Stinger II this last Friday after a small mishap during shipping (not a big deal) but I had to stay on top of the trucking company as for some reason they kept forgetting our delivery appointment. I understand shipping everywhere is an issue right now, so if you have one coming, Id prepare for possible problems. The scheduling of the forklift proved to be troublesome as well, but all was resolved without too much stress. I would HIGHLY recommend renting a forklift and having a $50 in your pocket to bribe the driver to unload it for you. Once I was able to get everything scheduled to be here at the same time it went easy as pie.

It came in a very large crate, which is great for for shipping but prepare for a large amount of trash, or if your like me, a day of tearing down and saving what lumber and screws you can, which is quite a bit actually.

Upon initial inspection, I noticed there was no vacuum table installed, the phenolic table was partially surfaced and there was no plumbing. Bummer! Made the call and CAMaster is sending out the parts for me to install and cut the table myself. Bummer #2

I proceeded to get the CNC off the pallet and into place to hook her up and check to make sure everything was working. I was on my own, so moving it became an issue. I hadn't purchased casters or anything and didnt have any moving equipment handy so I used an old miners trick and cut a few pieces of 6" pvc left over from the dust collection system and it worked like a charm.

I was underneath hooking up the electrical and noticed a hole in the weld in a corner, so I decided to inspect further and found more, not a deal breaker, but I do wonder what Im not seeing under that thick coating. Bummer #3

Unpacked the boxes with the computer, laser engraver, etc., but found no leveling feet. I was under the impression that it came with them, but upon calling CAMaster I was informed they were available at an additional cost but I could probably get them cheaper and faster locally. I really wish I had known that at the time of purchase. Bummer#4

I went ahead and ordered new leveling feet (10 days delivery and $125) and used some old anti-vibration pads I had laying around to get it as close to level as I could and started her up. Everything seems to work fine, although I did think it would move a little faster with the servo upgrades, but I've only jogged it and have yet to actually cut anything so I may be jumping to conclusions.

That's as far as I've got, still need to hook up dust collection and get materials for a spoil board and my first test projects. Ill update later after Ive used her for a bit.

I want to Thank everyone again for all your help and even after all the bummers, Im still excited to be a new CAMhead and a contributing member of this forum.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.
    Mark T.
    2021 Stinger II SR34 with Servos
    3.0kw HSD
    Performance Plus
    Phenolic Vacuum table
    MagLube Mister
    7w Laser engraver.
    VCarve Pro

sounds like you will have a very nice machine when you get there!
    i will reserve my comments on Bummers 1 & 2.
    The weld holes are really a non-issue in my book, no strength lost, you could put a dab of caulk in the holes to keep moisture etc, from getting in there.
    For leveling feet, we just used different thickness of plywood squares to level it out.
    travel speed - on the WINcnc screen, near the bottom, you can select slow/med/fast, as well as incremental. perhaps that was your issue.

welcome to the yellow community!
    Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
    6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
    near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

you may be in slow jog mode, there are three levels on mine. shimming to level we used a floor jack and cut shums the same size as the foot print, . sounds like you are well on your way,
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Mark, are you telling us that you paid for a phenolic vacuum table with all the plumbing? If so, you shouldn't have to correct their error. Not only should they send all necessary parts but a technician as well to install and certify. IMHO.
        Keith Hyde, Winchester, VA
        2016 Stinger 1, 1.7KW HF Spindle HSD
        Performance Package Pro, Vac, lathe, Aspire 10
        Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
        Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
        hyde.consulting@comcast.net

Comment

I agree the weld holes are not a big deal and can be filled, although I feel QC should have caught it and been filled at the factory. It is in 7 different spots. I was jogging in fast mode, its not that slow, I guess after looking at so many machines, most of which were far out of my price range I expected more, but again I have no experience so maybe this is fast?

I did order and pay for the phenolic vacuum table and all the plumbing. When they offered to send out all the parts and walk me through installing, I did voice my concern especially about my lack of experience. They assured me they would walk me through it step by step and offered me a discount (no idea how much) to cover my time and inconvenience, although I have yet to receive any parts or refund. Im sure someone has to run it up the pole and Ive been pretty busy all week, Ill call them next week if I still havent heard from them.
          Mark T.
          2021 Stinger II SR34 with Servos
          3.0kw HSD
          Performance Plus
          Phenolic Vacuum table
          MagLube Mister
          7w Laser engraver.
          VCarve Pro

Comment

Working...
          X