Need some advise on making gun stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Need some advise on making gun stocks

I am trying to learn how to model gun stocks. I have searched the all reaches of the internet to find any information on how to get started. Do I have to have the actual gun I am trying to design to get all the port positions and measurements. What programs will be best to use. I have a stinger 3 with an indexing lathe. Any information would be helpful.

2 pieces of advice:

1) have your stock scanned (Brady Watson in the scanning section of the forum)
    2) Dont try to cut it on your indexer
    Gary Campbell
    Servo Control Upgrades
    GCnC411@gmail.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

I agree with both of Gary's points. The scanning is self-explanatory and getting a really good scan will make your life easier. Yes, there's a cost involved, but the end result needs to be the goal, especially with work that has to be accurate so that other components assemble to it properly. On the latter, there have been multiple discussions around this over the time I've been here and the general consensus from folks who "know stuff" is that a 2, 3, or 4 sized cut is the better choice for this particular task.
      ---
      Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
      Festool "a good collection"
      Stubby - lathe
      Oneida Cyclone
      more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
      Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
      Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Originally posted by Camnoob View Post
        I am trying to learn how to model gun stocks. I have searched the all reaches of the internet to find any information on how to get started. Do I have to have the actual gun I am trying to design to get all the port positions and measurements. What programs will be best to use. I have a stinger 3 with an indexing lathe. Any information would be helpful.
        Most guys who make custom stocks just send them out to be scanned by a professional. This is because it is far cheaper and quicker than trying to do it yourself with hobby-type equipment and software. After the data is collected, it can be modified in any number of ways. You have the choice of getting a stock the way you want it physically first - then scanning it - Or, scan your stock and have the modifications done for you digitally. Some also prefer to have the file setup for them in VCP or Aspire and a video walking them through the process. You don't have to do it all on your own.

Here's one I just did last week:
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        IBILD Solutions - High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Comment

Working...
        X