Manufacturing Questions About SR44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manufacturing Questions About SR44

I got a quote for an SR44 W/recoil, 1.7Kw spindle, performance package, laser, phenolic T slot clamping table and still have the following questions. 1. Are the frame legs already drilled and taped to accept casters or levelers? If so, what are the specs? 2. When using the laser is the controller set to use a higher acceleration rate then when cutting with the spindle? I have added a laser to my 2011 SR23 but it is not fully integrated and think it could reach feed speed quicker without the fear of lost steps. 3. I am really concerned about the Phenolic top. I think it is a must have item but heard it is toxic when it is machined. Does CAMaster first tram the spindle to the frame, next install the phenolic top and use the machine's spindle to fly cut the table and machine the T-slots? Or do you tram the spindle to a previously machined Phenolic top? Can this be done in my shop with dust collection and using a face filter mask? My main concern is over the last 10 years I have moved away from using T-slots to bolting down vacuum jigs and material down with threaded inserts. Can I fly cut the table top and drill and tap holes using the supplied spindle? I was also thinking of adding some custom T-slots in only a small portion of the top for quick hold down of prototyping new jobs.

Sscooter
    SR23 w/recoil
    Chuck Andries aka sscooter
    Stinger 1 FTC with Recoil circa 2011
    WinCNC Version 2.5.01
    Aspire 11.0 and a couple of kegs of my Aspire Homebrew

The base is pre-drilled and tapped for 3/4" x 10 threaded caster stems. Do note that it's a best practice to not leave the machine on the casters once it's in place in the shop as gantry movement will potentially "shake, rattle and roll" the machine. The legs on the floor are best to eliminate that as it's a thousand pound machine that you really don't want perched on 3/4" bolts.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Oneida Cyclone
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Thanks Jim for the info on the base. I never intend to operate it on casters, only use them to position the machine in my shop. What are your thoughts about 3/4" levelers? Does your SR44 have a Phenolic top?
      WinCNC Version 2.5.01

Comment

I do not have the phenolic top. I have the standard MDF top with four tee tracks in the Y axis direction. I use them for some hold-down work, but mostly use...screws. :)

For leveling I use thin material for shims...I want the whole ~6" x 6" foot on the floor.
        ---
        Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
        Stubby - lathe
        Oneida Cyclone
        more...

Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
        Located Bucks County PA

Comment

You can cut the phenolic top yourself if you want to. CAMaster cuts the vac grid and t-slots if you have them in the top with your machine after the top is mounted. That way the top is trammed and square to your grid lines. I cut a hole in mine so I could mount things vertically to my table and it wasn't an issue. I wore a face mask and ran my dust collection while I cut it. I know it isn't good for you but neither is MDF dust. I found the phenolic chips to be a lot easier to manage than MDF or PVC dust.
          4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
          Mister system
          Phenolic Vac table
          Hurricane Vac
          Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Many thanks to Logan and Jim for their responses. To close this thread and not leave future readers hanging, Cody from CAMaster Sales called me directly and answered all my questions and even sent me a new quote with a servo upgrade and now I will have to change my signature on CamHeads ????
            WinCNC Version 2.5.01

Comment

That will be a really nice upgrade! I would have gone for the servos had they been available at the time I bought mine. Very worthy option!
              ---
              Jim Becker

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
              X