Family Bunkbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Family Bunkbed

Started a project a while back and finished it this past week. Making room in a house for another Grandchild. The family all helped with the design details so it was a lot of fun. Cherry boards from a tree that fell in our backyard a few years back. One sheet of plywood for the stairs, book shelf portion.

Lots of design time, either making sure all the holes and dados were in the right spot in the plywood, or deciding which animal tracks, stars, trees, etc that needed to be cut on the cnc. Even the mortise in the legs for the bed rails and headboard were cut on the CNC, so they would be accurate. Tenons on the rails were on the CNC too. The general 3d look was laid out in Fusion 360 and the final layouts then done in Aspire to locate all the details. Drawers are Cherry with half blind dovetails.

I really enjoyed how eventually all the pieces came together, and they fit. I made some mistakes along the way. I made sure to point them out to the kids so they would always know that Grandpa makes mistakes, but knows how to fix stuff too.
    Attached Files
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Headboard is reversible, as are the stairs for when they want everything on the other end. Green trees and moon phases are simple profile cuts painted, while the tree under the moon is epoxy inlay.
    Attached Files
    Charlie L

Comment

Very Nice !!
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Wonderful project result!
        ---
        Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
        Festool "a good collection"
        Stubby - lathe
        Oneida Cyclone
        more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
        Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
        Located Bucks County PA

Comment

That is really cool, Charlie. Im guessing the grandkids are going to love it. The details you added just make it so complete....well done!

Can I ask where you got the tree design?
          Joe Garber
          Retired, Hobbyist
          Stinger 1 SR24
          FTC
          Laser Pointer
          HSD 1.7kw Spindle
          Indexing Lathe
          WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
          Storm Vacuum
          drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
          1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Comment

Joe,

I'm not sure where the single tree with roots comes from, other than the internet. Years ago my daughter found it on the web, just a line image of a tree. She liked it for her stools.
            https://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=8958
            In the case of the stools I did some editing in Corel then asked my friend to laser cut it. That is the image on the stools.

In this case I took that image and then modified it a lot in Aspire so I could V Carve using a 30 deg bit which has a 0.020 inch flat bottom. The editing was really necessary because there was way too much detail. Mostly eliminating details.

I cut it about 0.070 deep. I messed up the epoxy trying to eliminate some bubbles with a little too much heat so I put it back on the table and carved about 1/3 of it a second time, just about half the full depth. Then did the epoxy a second time. Finally, shaved off the epoxy on the CNC and finished.

If you would like any of the files, just send a PM. All the time spent designing this project I would now like to do a second one. It would be so much faster. I made notes of where the mistakes were made.

Thanks to all for the comments. Take care.
            Attached Files
            Charlie L

Comment

Very cool project!
              Russell Crawford
              Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
              Alberta, Canada
              www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Nicely done, Charlie.
                Gary
                2018 Stinger II SR-44, 1.7kW Spindle, Performance Premium, Recoil, Gantry Lift, Cyclone
                Fusion 360
                Aspire

Comment

Working...
                X