Center Hole Finder .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Center Hole Finder .......

Here is a video showing how I find the center of a hole using a digitizing touch probe and Wincnc on a CAMaster CNC router. I want to find the center of the threaded holes in my CNC frame along with the center of the vacuum tubing. I then draw the circles using the XY coordinates provided by Wincnc into Aspire so I can create a toolpath to machine my new phenolic vacuum plenum.

I would like to say a big thank you to Mike Queen from Wincnc (MircoSystem World CNC) for writing the G-Code and taking the time to log onto my machine to help me set it up.

http://youtu.be/z_jdtN0vNiw
    Mick Martin
    mickmartin3@comcast.net
    CAMaster Cobra 508 ATC + Recoil + Popup Pins
    Digitize Touch Probe
    Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
    Hurricane vacuum
    WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
    www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!

Thanks Mick. That really helps make a great point of how to use the touch probe. Is the G code readily available or custom for each machine?
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Martin View Post
      Here is a video showing how I find the center of a hole using a digitizing touch probe and Wincnc on a CAMaster CNC router. I want to find the center of the threaded holes in my CNC frame along with the center of the vacuum tubing. I then draw the circles using the XY coordinates provided by Wincnc into Aspire so I can create a toolpath to machine my new phenolic vacuum plenum.

I would like to say a big thank you to Mike Queen from Wincnc (MircoSystem World CNC) for writing the G-Code and taking the time to log onto my machine to help me set it up.

http://youtu.be/z_jdtN0vNiw
      Great video, thanks.

I need to order a touch probe
      Kevin Stoops
      Cobra's 508 ATC
      Recoil, vacuum hold down.
      Aspire 9, Photo w/Cut-3d, CPP
      30W Fiber Laser
      TDS Control Keypads - Inventor of the TDS/KRS Keypads
      www.krscorporation.com for keypad support home
      YouTube Videos

Comment

Mick,
        Would you be willing to share the g-code/macro files for finding the center of the hole? I have a use for such a thing, and would be great if I didn't have to reinvent the wheel and then measure it :)
        Stinger II 4x4

Comment

Reviving this post-
          I am in the process of designing a replacement plenum and underlay board to stiffen up my table and optimize the vacuum circuiting (2-1" MDF sheets).
          I have measured the mounting holes but with a tape measure, it is within a 16" which would not be good for the threaded frame mounting holes.
          I got the factory design files but the first set of holes were off by over 1/2". How could that be?
          Is there any new information on the probe, where to buy and how to use?
          Micks video appears to be from 2014. Is there a new one floating around out there?
          Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
          New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Comment

Mick started this old post years ago showing how the Digital Probe can be used with WinCNC to measure the center of a hole. I know that Mick doesn't have access to his machine for awhile so I wanted to ask others for help.

I too want to use the probe to find a bunch of center holes on projects that come through the door. So far I have found the basic macro information via Mick's video, a WinCNC video, and another random post on the web. However I can't get the macro to work past the red bold line below starting with L1 N28.........

G90
            G92 [Clears any green boxes, local zeros
            L210.1X C1 [Selects alternate low limit pin number for X
            L91 G1X-1 M28 G31 F30 [Move -10, disables low limit abort, measures X position at abort switch trigger
            L212 [switch limits back
            L1 N28 V{AP0} [Store Probe Position to register 28
            L91G1X.05 [Back off .2", slow
            L211.1X C2

The Error message on the WinCNC screen reads
            "Error - Syntax - Command or File Not Found"

I'm guessing that I need a variable or two defined in the CNC.MAC file, or something like that.

If anyone beside Mick has this digital probe center finding working with WinCNC I'd appreciate some ideas for what to do next. Other than calling WinCNC and very nicely asking for help.

Here are the WinCNC video's that I found.

https://wincnc.net/vid_wincncsoft.php

I like the challenge of figuring out how to make this work. Just get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
            Charlie L
            Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
            WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

I charted the mounting holes without a probe by using a 1/4" endmill. I Initialized the CNC and centered the bit over the first hole and jotting down the x and y locations. Then I moved to the next hole. It takes a little time but it worked for me.
              "If it was easy anyone could do it!"

Jim Williams, CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Comment

Working...
              X