X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie_L
    replied
    Robert,
    I always enjoy learning about your unique projects. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Obxwoody
    replied
    Thanks for that Robert. Useful info. We just had a family reunion out in Duck Creek Village. It was beautiful out there! Sounds like a long ways away from you though.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Alexander
    replied
    Originally posted by Rlee1972 View Post
    Looking great Robert! I see those fires didn't get you after all. We were wondering about you out there
    Sorry I missed your post. Utah is a big state almost 400 miles from North to South. The big fire that was in the national news was about 250 miles south of my place. We have had a bunch of smaller fires from people with too many fireworks and not much common sense.

Originally posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
    Dammit Robert ..... I just bought an A-liner & you post plans for a teardrop. I used to like you!

Seriously, Iooked at a bunch of different teardrops, but they seemed relatively expensive for their size. We tend to be 500-600 miles farther down the road every day, so a big trailer was out of the question because of the hit on my fuel mileage.

I had no friggin' idea that plans existed to make my own.

You know, if I get to feelin' poorly, my last long trip will be to Utah to buy a casket ..........
    TR Most of the production tear drops are too expensive for my me. I'm just too cheap. As for gas milage, I would get 25 to 32 m.p.g. pulling my tear drop, on trips, with our Honda CRV.
    As for caskets you're always welcome to head out west... but.... with the great artwork you do... you should look into the possibility of making simple flat lid caskets, with some of your artwork on the top. People like a little personalization on their caskets. And if it's top notch art work they don't mind paying more.

Originally posted by Obxwoody View Post
    Robert, might I inquire as to the investment for your "minimalist" tear drop? We do reunions out every 2 years, and every other is out west. The plain tickets this last time really got me thinking about a nice drive out there.... how many do you sleep in there? I'll go to your journal maybe it answers some of these questions! Thanks! awesome creative work!
    I think somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 to $2,000. My tear drop sleeps 2 comfortably. If I take the grandkids. They sleep fine in the screenhouse/tent that attaches to the tear drop side. If I was going to do family camping with more people. I would have added another 18 inches to the length for more storage, and got a 10 by 12 foot screen room tent to attach go the teardrop. Even with that extra weight and size. The tear drop would still be under 1200 lbs. And most 4 cylinder cars can pull that.
    I did some cost comparisons for some more elaborate and slightly bigger tear drops, and you can put together a nice customized to your specifications tear drop very well equipped tear drop for around $5,000 to $6,000. A lot less than the dealer $15,000 cost. Tear drops are very popular. That's probably why they are higher in cost.

Leave a comment:

• Obxwoody
    replied
    Robert, might I inquire as to the investment for your "minimalist" tear drop? We do reunions out every 2 years, and every other is out west. The plain tickets this last time really got me thinking about a nice drive out there.... how many do you sleep in there? I'll go to your journal maybe it answers some of these questions! Thanks! awesome creative work!

Leave a comment:

• de5
    replied
    Robert, congratulations on that camper build. It's beautiful. I can't say I will ever build one, but I sure am having a lot of fun thinking about it. It's probably true for everybody on this forum that life is most fun when we have a project on our minds. Thanks for the inspiration and stimulation.

Leave a comment:

• T.R.MacMunn
    replied
    Dammit Robert ..... I just bought an A-liner & you post plans for a teardrop. I used to like you!

Seriously, Iooked at a bunch of different teardrops, but they seemed relatively expensive for their size. We tend to be 500-600 miles farther down the road every day, so a big trailer was out of the question because of the hit on my fuel mileage.

I had no friggin' idea that plans existed to make my own.

You know, if I get to feelin' poorly, my last long trip will be to Utah to buy a casket ..........

Leave a comment:

• Robert Alexander
    replied
    Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
    She is far more serious than I !! LOL yet she really wants one and they start at 10-15 k so build i will !!
    Just remember mine is just a basic hard sided tent. If you want to customize to your liking, you can add air conditioning, microwave, hot water heater, pull out sink, pull out drawers, dvd player, a whole world of accessories. I met a person a few years back in Missoula MT, who had a decked out tear drop. he was touring the country from coat to coast. He told me he has a nice motor home sitting in his driveway at home because he liked his tear drop more than his motor home.

Leave a comment:

• james mcgrew
    replied
    She is far more serious than I !! LOL yet she really wants one and they start at 10-15 k so build i will !!

Leave a comment:

• Robert Alexander
    replied
    Here are the dxf files for the tear drop trailer. The trailer uses 1000 lb. half axles, and a simple A frame trailer frame to keep the weight down.

Jim if your serious about building one, you should go to the tiny tear drop trailer forum. People from all over post their trailer builds and photos. The plans I downloaded here are my ultra light design. When I camp, I just have the basics. A place to sleep out of the rain. And a screen room that I have attached to the tear drop, to keep the bugs out. I stay at KOA's or state parks with shower facilities. So I don't need much. Here is my build journal that shows more . http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67346
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• james mcgrew
    replied
    Thanks !!!

Leave a comment:

• Robert Alexander
    replied
    More files for the tear drop trailer.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Robert Alexander
    replied
    Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
    My wife wants one,, willing to share plans ?
    cut files for the tear drop.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rlee1972
    replied
    Looking great Robert! I see those fires didn't get you after all. We were wondering about you out there

Leave a comment:

• Rlee1972
    replied
    I was about to ask WHICH ONE of those your wife was so interested in when you asked, lol!!
    People are right comical when they walk into our shop and see caskets are replacing cabinets. They usually leave. Quickly.

Leave a comment:

• drummerjg
    replied
    Wow, Robert...that is some very nice work! I am always amazed at the talent of folks and their cnc skills. Caskets & trailers....who'd a thunk?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X