No announcement yet.

miter folds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the kind words Russell!! I am just as amazed with your work sir!

Brian,
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    It took me about 4 years of experimenting with different products to get it where I am now with what I do.
    Last edited by eandico; 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM.
    Best,
    Nick
    The E & I Company
    @nbuk_eico

Comment

So, the folds are cut to .02", but there are the outer miters that need to be cut all the way through. Do you run the v-bit all the way to .00" (resulting in misalignment with the .02" folds?) or do you run them at .02" and cut through with a knife?

Or something else?
      Near West Cabinets

Evan Andersen

Stinger III X3
      15 HP FPZ Regen Vacuum

Comment

Evan

It's been a while but I think I cut to the spoil board.Even then I had to razor cut some of the parts. If you cut too deep your part size will change. I had to wrap up the front over the top and down the back of a framed wall so I needed a close fit. I was using the 91 degree. I had to put it in one of the side heads because I was using the T-1 to cut out the straight edges with a 3/8 compression spiral.
        Attached Files
        Brian O

stinger III x3

vcarve pro

Comment

Thanks. How do you get the veneer not to crack and splinter? I am doing some birch ply shelves, I did a test run on some scrap and the corners look pretty ugly. Thought thinner would be better so I ran the cut down to .009", but maybe that's why you run it at .02"?

Found that you need to take some pretty light passes toward the end, the PC routers don't like to push those big V wings!

Edit: Just saw this:

Originally posted by bguthrie View Post
          We tried a wood laminate several times and had to put a process in place to spray the corners with water to keep from cracking. The general rule of thumb was .025" flat between v cuts to allow fabric to form without stretching around corner and our mdf was specified @ .020" ± .004" within that flat section. You needed a very good vacuum table to hold this requirement but without any grooves the hold down force was incredible on large pieces like this.
          So, run two parallel paths .025" apart, so you actually have two micro-miters in one?
          Last edited by dustboy; 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM.
          Near West Cabinets

Evan Andersen

Stinger III X3
          15 HP FPZ Regen Vacuum

Comment

Evan, all my stuff has been mdf so I can sand the corners and make them look great. If it was something that needed a veneer finish I would cut to the spoil board or slightly more so they were loose parts. Or I would assemble an mdf core and veneer it after it was built.
            I also use either a .25 or .375 end mill to cut out the perimeter of the shape to release it from the sheet.

Here is the final fixture. Gloss black with brass knobs and brass sculpt nuovo paint accent on several drawer fronts.
            Attached Files
            Best,
            Nick
            The E & I Company
            @nbuk_eico

Comment

Working...
            X