Add ATC to my existing Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Add ATC to my existing Panther

One of my biggest regrets was not adding an ATC to my Panther which I purchased a few years ago. I'm having trouble with the search function on this forum, so can any of you point me to a good thread on how I can go about adding this capability? Will Camaster assist here or is it pointless to ask?

Dan
    Dan Schmidt
    • PT404 Panther w/ 3kW spindle
    • Cyclone Vacuum System
    • Indexing Lathe
    • FTC/Laser/Assist/Remote
    • Fusion 360 / Vectric V-Carve Pro

Hi Dan,
    From my recollection (I purchased a Panther two years ago without the ATC also).. the ATC cannot be added on to a Panther after the fact. Not sure if I was told this by Camaster to up sell me but I'm sure others will chime in.
    Bruce Jeansonne
    decorativecabinets@comcast.net
    CAMaster Panther 508
    Laser Engraver
    Hurricane Vacuum
    WinCNC and VCarve Pro
    https://www.facebook.com/decorativecabinets/

Comment

Its a machine, I would think it could be done, yet at the outset BIG bucks. (get that out of the way) the spindle would probably mount right up, the tooling rack however and its calibration along with wincnc config will be the largest problem. the comapany like most all are crazy busy

I got asked to replace two panels in a senators office where some electronics were done. the original company said No even to one of my favorite contractors, when i told him the Price (After first having said No as well) he liked to croak...

we are also swamped busy. you may be better off to contact an independant who could do this for you. Not trying to talk you out of it but know going in its not a simple measure.
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

looks like the retrofit would encompass 3 areas: spindle (and associated air valves), tool holders (carousel, or in-line on table), and software. as mentioned, the spindle may be the easiest part of the change. adding a rotating carousel tool holder may require a certain gantry to accomodate the install, not sure. but i have seen table-mounted inline holders work fine. but the software upgrades would probably be touching several areas of WinCNC. i agree with james that it should be doable. not sure what the ATC upgrade costs from factory now, but you can assume you will be there, and maybe more....
        Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
        6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
        near bottom of the learning curve!!

Comment

You might want to drop a note to Gary Campbell...he's one of the people who could likely detail level of effort for this kind of modification, given his huge experience in building custom machines as well as familiarity with Camaster and similar. He's a member here and in case he doesn't' see this thread...you can PM him.
          ---
          Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
          Festool "a good collection"
          Stubby - lathe
          Oneida Cyclone
          more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
          Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
          Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Gary Campbell could certainly do it. I bought a machine from Gary that he had intended to make a carousel ATC toolholder for (already had the spindle in place). It wasn't too hard to make the carousel, just used the 'A' axis in WinCNC to turn the servo motor I mounted under the carousel I cut from aluminum. Programming the tool changes in WinCNC is not too hard, but you need a little experience or some help if its your first time. You just need to figure out the positions of each tool, and your carousel needs a limit switch or proximity sensor so it knows exactly where it is at all times. Then you have to edit your post processor for the tool changes. Took me a couple weeks of playing around in the evenings to make the carousel and program everything. I know Gary used to do this kind of stuff for people for a fee, and he's a very reasonable guy to work with.
            Russell Crawford
            Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
            Alberta, Canada
            www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

unless your really handy, might be better to buy new cnc and sell one have.
              panther 508 ATC
              7watt laser
              recoil

Comment

I didn't mention it in my previous reply, but I kinda agree with Eugene for many reasons. Given the market for used machines remains strong, Opting for a new machine equipped better to handle your current and future needs is worthy of consideration. You could make other adjustments at the same time. Adding the ATC capability so it's seamless to an existing machine is a major project in both hardware and software. It will also come with down-time. Consider all the angles with this for sure.
                ---
                Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
                Festool "a good collection"
                Stubby - lathe
                Oneida Cyclone
                more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
                Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
                Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I have done several but it's not quick and easy. Figure around 8k if you do it yourself with lots of mechanical, electrical, and programming. More like 15k to have it done if you can find someone willing to travel, or take your machine to them. I agree that Gary would do you good if he is willing to stop fishing. Camaster has said no but if you visit with the folks at wincnc, they know how to make it happen. They were a great help when I did my first one. I had one with a rear rack, one with a side rack and two with front racks, but I didn't do carousel.
                  Fixing machines and making sawdust.
                  SW side of Houston

Comment

Working...
                  X