Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hell of a way to start the day

Well gents,
    I had great expectations for today. Got in the shop around 7:00 and started up my trusted 2014 Cobra to run a cabinet project.
    Upon warmup, I heard a very strange loud clicking noise that just did not sound right. Time for a quick inspection, only to find one of my Y axis linear bearings had come apart and quit.
    Took first picture of the damaged bearing.
    Decide to jump in and replace them all since the age and use of the machine, 2014 and I have over 10,000 sheets cut.
    I have always been concerned of trying to replace these as there is no free clearance at the end of the rail to pull the bearings. I spoke with Eric in support last week and brought this up and he said just pull the rail bolts about half way and the rail will flex enough to get the bearings off.
    Spot on-pulled half the rail bolts, placed jack below carriage, pulled bearing bolts and out they come. Easy Peasy.
    Now to locate the bearings to replace-Hiwin is closed for the weekend.
    I am going to try to get self lubrication bearing as the grease fittings on these are a true pain.

Only real question now is one of the bearings had a ultra this shim on it so wondering how critical that is the the travel of the carriage. Will ask support that one.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Attached Files
    Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
    New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Well fellas, I got my replacement HiWin bearings and started the re-build last night at 5:00. At 7:00, I had pulled both Y axis linear rails pulled, replaced the bearings on each side and replaced the transmissions.
    Wasn't very hard, just a bit tedious with all the darn screws holding the rails in place.
    Back in business and happy to have that behind me.
    Have a nice day.
    Existing:-2014 Cobra 5x10 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, Mozaik, 25 hp Becker High Vacuum Pump, 5 HP Oneida DC-Central Texas
    New:-2014 Cobra 5x12 ATC w/ 10 hp spindle, pop up pins, phenolic top, lathe, vacuum relief valve, mister system, 25 HP Blower.

Comment

eXCELLENT !! I have done this moons ago. atleast you did not chase little bearings all over the floor !
      James McGrew
      CAMaster ATC 508
      The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
      https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Yes, The new bearings come with a cage installed and as you push it onto the rail, the cage is pushed out the other end. No chasing around the floor.
        Full disclosure:
        I thought I would outsmart the factory and replace those darn grease screws with actual zerks while I had the bearings off. I installed them and thought I was really cool. When I finished the entire project, I needed to load them with grease only to find out the zerk was too close to the rail for the gun head to lock on. Luckily I used 45 degree zerks and was able to unscrew the zerk tip and replace it with extra long tips moving it from under the rail. Now I have a fully greasable machine.
        Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
        X