Heating Your Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heating Your Shop

I'm curious as to how everyone is heating their shops...I downsized to a two-car garage which realistically I use half of...garage door is still in place but I build a wall with windows and a door on the outside of it. The side walls are concrete with foam board insulation. The back wall is the basement wall to the house - not insulated. I have a ceiling heater (220v) that has been pretty good, but if I want to pour epoxy I need to let the heat run overnight to get the shop to acceptable temperature. Even if I'm not doing epoxy, just to get the shop up to a comfortable 60-65 deg (f), it takes a while. I'm in New Hampshire and despite the so-called global warming, it can be bloody cold in there...and the older I get the colder it feels. Soooo my fellow CAMheads...let me know what you are doing to stay warm...(no comments like I go to FL or AZ for the winter :)) Thank you
    Pappybaynes
    Stinger 1
    1.7KW Spindle
    Performance Option
    Aspire 11.5

Mini Split, both at the old shop (pro install...and more money) and at the new, larger shop...MrCool DIY which was a piece of cake. Some of the nice things about Mini Splits is they not only provide heat, but they also provide AC for "those days" when it can be helpful. And they are extremely efficient energy wise...much more so than that 240v resistance ceiling heater you mention by a noticeable magnitude. Do keep in mind that insulation and infiltration sealing, particularly of exterior walls, etc., is always going to help, no matter what you do.
    ---
    Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
    Festool "a good collection"
    Stubby - lathe
    Harvey G700 DC
    more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
    Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
    Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Thank you Jim...I'll check it out.
      Pappybaynes
      Stinger 1
      1.7KW Spindle
      Performance Option
      Aspire 11.5

Comment

Pappy, I'm a bit farther north than you. Shop is 732square' with 15'6" ceilings in the lower part. Outdoor wood pellet furnace for me. I burn about 2 bags a day if it's cold out. That's about $20 Cdn.
        If I'm not drying something, I turn it down to 55* to 60* if I'm not going to be in the shop, but I'm generally there every day .Works out to about $3000/year. The radiator in the shop has a 4' shroud
        that I use to dry lumber in.
        TR

CAMaster MC4836 named Jemima
        Aspire 3.5
        Mach3
        CoreldrawX3

Comment

I also use a mini split for both heating and cooling. I leave it set to 60 degrees in the winter and 75 in the summer. Works really well.
          SR44 Stinger II, 3kw HSD Spindle, Servos, Performance Package Plus, Phenolic Table, Black Box Hurricane, Aspire

Comment

All great suggestions! Thank you
            Pappybaynes
            Stinger 1
            1.7KW Spindle
            Performance Option
            Aspire 11.5

Comment

Best thing I did was lay PEX tubing before pouring the concrete for my shop. Put in a boiler system, and now my shop stays a consistent temp all winter. I set it to a cooler than normal temperature, because it feels great to have warm feet and a cooler head. You could do this if you poured a leveler over your existing concrete. Really didn't cost me much, as I did it all myself. About $300 for the PEX, and about $2500 for the boiler and primary/secondary loop system for a 2000sf shop.
              Russell Crawford
              Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
              Alberta, Canada
              www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Working...
              X