Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also came down to the same two final candidates as you but was looking at a used machine and about bought it. I think the hardware software combo is pretty close in quality. One thing different is that if you sell your machine, the purchaser will have to purchase support which was $2K for one year or $4K for life time. For a used machine, this added enough costs that I was going to buy a new Camaster but happened across a used one. So if you decide to sell or upgrade your machine, it won't be as attractive to a buyer - hence more depreciation. Camaster supports the machines even when the owner changes.

The forum posts for brand deleted machine on CNCZone are few and far between. I think they are more aimed at supporting the production shop and maybe not individuals, so they might have support / cost models more aimed at companies and might do more hand holding for new purchasers. I think they are a good outfit and have a good machine but definitely not aimed at a hobbyist/part timer.

For me it is a no-brainer. Lets say for comparison sake the machines are identical - this forum makes all the difference. I don't know any support that would have people responding within an hour when you post after hours. For me, this was an after hours activity so I couldn't even make a support call during the middle of the day and be in front of my machine. This is a smart model since the support is self sustaining and cost effective. I'd pay more for a machine if a forum like this came with it. I think Brand deleted has a great forum and I give them huge kudos for being first to use the forum model and having lots of great content but Camaster hardware/software quality wins out there.
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM.
    Rich F.
    PrecisionSignandPost.com
    CAMaster Cobra 408 X3 w/Recoil
    BobCAD v25 4th Axis
    Corel Draw X5

Comment

Originally posted by oakspsd
      I am still in the looking phase and joined here to find out as much about Camaster as I could. I am presently still gathering information however I am slowly narrowing down my two choices to Camaster and *********.

********* has a 4896 model that is in comparative to the Stinger 3

and they also have a 4896 model for production with is comparative to the Cobra.

Both look like very solid machines, big heavy bases, much of the same components, software identical, etc I do like the ball and screw on the production model of the ***** and am presently waiting for an estimate on the Cobra.

I know things might be a little biased but can you guys give a looker some things to look for? I am not the most computer literate person, I know its going to take some determination and time to learn this but I have the will. Seeing as the comparable machines seem to be of good quality and similar software what did you use as your final determination?
      One word SUPPORT a company that stands by there machine with a great forum. SUPPORTwhich is free, not like other company's which charge a yearly fee.
      Mick Martin
      mickmartin3@comcast.net
      CAMaster Cobra 508 ATC + Recoil + Popup Pins
      Digitize Touch Probe
      Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
      Hurricane vacuum
      WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
      www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!

Comment

I am glad you are doing some real good Due diligence, Unlike some CNC companys who have badmouthing sales tactic's. the largest reason I chose CAMaster (and I did call on all of the others) was the Honesty and Support, they started taking my calls and emails in late 07 and have yet to let me down on this. the issues of Ballscrews and R&P is apples to apples at this level of machine,, Ballscrews Basically it is an either or. I have done most all high end work I have ever seen done, I have owned 5 CAMasters and have yet to Have any limitations when compared to any machine at this level of Price point

If and when I heard a company use this language in any form either direct or insinuated I used my favorite four letter word on them "NEXT"

"Hey we are the only BEST, BUY OURS and stop looking"

On another note, I have seen several post asking for direct calling out of other CNC Companys names on the same subject. Everyone here can see the same post with the exception of the Owners sections, we keep the forum open for the benefit of the CAMaster owner and those who may wish to study the machine for future ownership and possibly we can learn something from those who Bring info , to Keep the credibility to the highest standard we can we do not allow other companys to be bashed or discussed in a derogatory form of any kind, we are not a sales forum, this is a support forum for the Camhead. I have had to remove some post for Duplicity. it is not uncommon for some to come here with intent other than to learn, if we found this was going on on someone elses support forum we would do all we can to stop it. we are here for CNC and have many friends of various machine types. I hope you understand our rules on this.
        Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM.
        James McGrew
        CAMaster ATC 508
        The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
        https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Be careful looking at the more expensive industrial machines and then trying to find a cheaper machine that has those features. Some will advertise features similar, but with CNC machines you pretty much get what you pay for. Camaster and (brand deleted) are good value for the money, great machines, but they will not be the same as a $100k+ machine.

That being said, there are few users out there who can take a Stinger to its potential and need more features. The Stinger will perform better than most users are capable of making it perform. For example, some people are wanting .0001" positional accuracy in a machine. That is ridiculous for wood. Your bits probably have only .002 accuracy. Your hold down methods will allow the wood to move .005. The changes in the wood from stress relief when cutting will allow the wood to bow or cup or warp .05 as you are cutting. Its not realistic to expect big iron milling machine accuracy with amateurs working in wood.

The difference between rack and pinion and ballscrews is similar. When working in wood, operator experience and skill makes WAY more difference than the machine you are using. Any of these machines is probably more machine than most of us will ever need.

I've been considering upgrading my cobra to the newer dual Y-axis servos, instead of my single Y-axis servo. Why? Because they say its more accurate. But I probably won't, because the Cobra I've got now is more accurate than I'll ever need and I've learned to use this machine and get the most out of it that I can, and it serves me well. 'More accuracy' is more theoretical than practical. Can I get more accurate than the picture of inlays below? That was done on one of the most inaccurate machines out there (before I got my cobra). The second inlay was done on my Cobra (1000 times more accurate machine).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM.
          Russell Crawford
          Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
          Alberta, Canada
          www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

I may need to make this more clear, we are not going to allow other machine company's names to be used on this forum good or bad. Please respect this
            James McGrew
            CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Sorry Jim. Wasn't trying to undercut the forum, just mentioned the name because that was what the poster was comparing with Camaster.
              Russell Crawford
              Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
              Alberta, Canada
              www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

Me sorry too! Thanks for reminding us Jim. I guess the excuse "BLANK" did it first! doesn't cut it.
                Rich F.
                PrecisionSignandPost.com
                CAMaster Cobra 408 X3 w/Recoil
                BobCAD v25 4th Axis
                Corel Draw X5

Comment

Hey Guys....

First: No apology required.
                  Second: The "independent" survey, is a statement of facts, is dated, and offers no opinion. Very few of loyal users have that ability :)

CAMaster believes that there is no benefit to our users posting other brand names, information or opinion based comparisons on this forum. This applies to verbiage that would be either positive or negative.

We do appreciate that a good number of our Owners have migrated to CAMaster from some of those other brands, and appreciate (maybe even encourage) that those that actually have swapped might swing a potential customer over to our brand. However, this would be best done via PM or email to maintain the high quality of posts available here.

Potential buyers will often ask those questions of the forum. If you actually have experience with another brand, please share that information off forum. It has been quite clear that we don't stand for those that "brand bash" us, lets take the high road and afford the same courtesy to those other brands.
                  Last edited by Gary Campbell; 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM.
                  Gary Campbell
                  Servo Control Upgrades
                  GCnC411@gmail.com
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Comment

It is All good, we work hard to give access to anyone here, experience has taught us to watch for the trolls and I am well assured all here are on the up and up we just have to watch the slippery slope !!

I had to learn this the hard way and it is why this forum was layed out the way it is, thanks for understanding !!

Now get on with some Good CNC Hunting, there is no substitute for visiting shops and meeting owners face to face,, the fear of intrusion is soon over come (many of you have been to my shop) as most every cnc owner I know is tickled to show off his machine, I attribute this to the fact that we are still amazed we can do this !!

there are dozens of machines in central/Atlanta GA go see um !!
                    James McGrew
                    CAMaster ATC 508

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Working...
                    X