Brass Numbers for Mailbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brass Numbers for Mailbox

I recently put up a new mailbox, and thought I would get creative with the address numbers. I used several techniques that I either have never used or used very little.

1. I cut the numbers out brass. My mailbox and post are a dark bronze color, so I thought the brass would look really good. I have never worked with brass before, but I learned alot. I had some issues cutting at first. Partly due to the bit I was using and probably partly due to the grade of brass I purchased. I got 260 instead of 360. Where 360 is free-machining brass, 260 isnt (it has no lead added) but it is the most formable grade of brass. So, with my initial End Mill I was cutting some deforming that made it hard to cut. I went and got and O-Flute EM and it cut it like butter.
    2. I cut pockets into the backplate for the brass numbers to set into. This made alignment for install much easier. I also used the texturing toolpath to texture the backplate as well, although you cant see it due to the glare in the attached pic. I have never used the texturing toolpath, but it was surprisingly easy to use.
    3. I used the moulding toolpath to create the frame for the outside. I have worked with the moulding toolpath somewhat, but never say down and took the time to really figure it out. I could never figure out how to make a moulding pattern on the outside of a closed vector, like the design I used here. Until I learned that VCarve only calculates in on the inside, so you have to take that into account with your sizing/layout. After watching some videos and playing with the reverse function I was able to figure it out.
    4. One issue was that I expected the brass to tarnish pretty quickly if left exposed, so I left a lip on the frame extending ~1/4" above the backplate and then filled this section with clear UV resistant epoxy. That way the brass is protected.
    5. I painted this piece and the post with a bronze, metallic paint to match the mailbox and I really like how it looks.

Anyways, woodworking is my hobby, so I feel like any time I have a project I dont have the time to learn new things. I just jump in the shop and go to work. So, I decided to take some time to learn some new techniques, and I am glad I did.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Adam Crosswhite
    accross26@gmail.com
    CAMaster Stinger I
    FTC
    WinCNC + VCarve Pro + PhotoVCarve

Nice work, Have you ever used the Vectric inlay tool path, I use it often,,, Male first then female, if it is too tight i add a .001 using outside offset till letters fit
    Attached Files
    James McGrew
    CAMaster ATC 508
    The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
    https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

I have never used the inlay toolpath, but that is a good idea. Sounds like something good to try next time.
      Adam Crosswhite
      accross26@gmail.com
      CAMaster Stinger I
      FTC
      WinCNC + VCarve Pro + PhotoVCarve

Comment

Working...
      X