Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool path question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16

    Originally posted by Studio417 View Post
    Send me your email and I'll get it to you.
    I just sent it via PM. Thanks again!
    Lester Sak
    2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1.7kw Spindle
    FTC, Laser, Counter Balance, Gantry Lift, T-slots
    VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC

    Comment

    • #17

      Originally posted by sakle2k View Post
      I just sent it via PM. Thanks again!
      Sent. Hope it works for you.

      Comment

      • #18

        WOW, Studio 417 - that is exceptionally kind of you!!! and, to share your talents that way!

        you da man!
        Panther PT-404 (aluminum)
        6 position ATC w/5hpHSD, Aspire 11/WinCNC, Recoil, Laser, Hurricane
        near bottom of the learning curve!!

        Comment

        • #19

          Originally posted by TimPa View Post
          WOW, Studio 417 - that is exceptionally kind of you!!! and, to share your talents that way!

          you da man!

          I've received some great advice from several here, so it's nice to be able to help someone else in need.

          I just hope any of it is useful.

          Comment

          • #20

            Originally posted by Studio417 View Post
            Sent. Hope it works for you.
            I finally had some time to play around with it and I was able to clean it up much better than I was able to in my Vectric model. Is using a 3D model for raised lettering just a better approach, or could I have made improvements to the tool paths I originally created?

            You mentioned you could reduce the cut time, but the estimate I got was about 2 hours for the STL file which is double what mine came in at. I haven't worked on any 3D model tool paths before this so I might not be going about it in the most efficient way. I've attached a summary of what I did. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

            Thanks again Studio417, this type of feedback is invaluable!
            Lester Sak
            2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1.7kw Spindle
            FTC, Laser, Counter Balance, Gantry Lift, T-slots
            VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC

            Comment

            • #21

              Perhaps I'm missing something here, but can you not just do that with a 2D Pocket toolpath? I don't do anything in aluminum, & likely never will, but 2D toolpaths cut much faster than 3D.
              TR
              www.trmacsigns.com
              CAMaster MC4836 named Jemima
              Aspire 3.5
              Mach3
              CoreldrawX3

              Comment

              • #22

                Originally posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
                Perhaps I'm missing something here, but can you not just do that with a 2D Pocket toolpath? I don't do anything in aluminum, & likely never will, but 2D toolpaths cut much faster than 3D.
                Hey TR. That's what I originally did but couldn't get the tool paths in VCarve Pro to clean up properly - the bits would not get into the smaller areas despite including a very small bit. I posted the .crv file in the 1st post. Studio417 took the time to try and help by sending me the 3D file that he created to try. Although it's MUCH cleaner, the carve time is double. So I wondered if using a 3D model for raised lettering is a better approach, or could I have made improvements to the tool paths I originally created?

                BTW, I haven’t actually cut this yet. All of my observations are based on the preview in VCP.
                Last edited by sakle2k; 07-05-2021, 05:07 PM.
                Lester Sak
                2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1.7kw Spindle
                FTC, Laser, Counter Balance, Gantry Lift, T-slots
                VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC

                Comment

                • #23

                  Lester, I've never done anything that small, but I'd still think a 1/16" ballnose with a tight stepover would clear that all out. Your inside tight corners would have a 1/32" radius on them, but I can't imagine that would matter. Or, you could do two toolpaths overlapping with opposite raster angles & a 75% stepover , & get a knurled look. Do your cleanup pass last.

                  Comment

                  • #24

                    Actually, in this case, the .stl will cut faster. I had an estimated time of under 45 mins., as opposed to the v-carve paths at 1.5 hrs. With the stepover required to achieve the same finish, the v-carve path will take longer, especially if changing tools. The only way to clear between the font and border, is to remove the border. If the border isn't necessary, it could be set up as a pocket or v-carve toolpath, using a 1/16"EM. However, with the stepover, depth per pass, and feedrate for that bit, it's going to increase the time. This is JMO and YMMV.

                    Why is the text not showing any longer? I'm sure it's because it's white on white, but I can't find where to change the settings.

                    Comment

                    • #25

                      Originally posted by T.R. MacMunn View Post
                      Lester, I've never done anything that small, but I'd still think a 1/16" ballnose with a tight stepover would clear that all out. Your inside tight corners would have a 1/32" radius on them, but I can't imagine that would matter. Or, you could do two toolpaths overlapping with opposite raster angles & a 75% stepover , & get a knurled look. Do your cleanup pass last.
                      Thanks for the suggestions TR. I removed a V Bit that I used for one of the tool paths and that alone actually made a difference, but there was still more left behind that needed to be removed.

                      I spaced a couple of the letters a little farther apart and kept tightening up the stepover for the tools used for the pocket. I brought the stepover for the 2 clearing end mills (1/4" & 1/8") down to 10%, and I kept reducing the stepover for the 1/16th" tapered ballnose until I got to 2%. More improvement, but still stuff left behind.

                      I finally added a 1/32" tapered ballnose and with a 13% stepover everything got cleaned up. Again, all of this is in VCarve only, I don't even have the aluminum yet. Because I'm new to this I'm trying to get the feel for the balance between cutting efficiently and quality. Everything I just described gives me a cut time estimate of 2.5 hrs. which I'd love to improve on but everything I've tried to increase the quality has obviously added to the cut time.
                      Lester Sak
                      2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1.7kw Spindle
                      FTC, Laser, Counter Balance, Gantry Lift, T-slots
                      VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC

                      Comment

                      • #26

                        Originally posted by Studio417 View Post
                        Actually, in this case, the .stl will cut faster. I had an estimated time of under 45 mins., as opposed to the v-carve paths at 1.5 hrs. With the stepover required to achieve the same finish, the v-carve path will take longer, especially if changing tools. The only way to clear between the font and border, is to remove the border. If the border isn't necessary, it could be set up as a pocket or v-carve toolpath, using a 1/16"EM. However, with the stepover, depth per pass, and feedrate for that bit, it's going to increase the time. This is JMO and YMMV.

                        Why is the text not showing any longer? I'm sure it's because it's white on white, but I can't find where to change the settings.
                        Studio417, I'm not sure how you're going about it but I didn't get that kind of cut estimate when I tried it. I'm sure I must be just setting up the toolpaths wrong. And I only had the border vector so that I could create the pocket toolpaths. The first 2 toolpaths that run remove the border on all 4 sides and clears the depth right up to the edge of the letters. I also only had 1 vcarve toolpath which I've since removed (see my response to TR above for details). Thanks again for trying to help.

                        And yes, the text was white on white. Seems like with the change in the forum format they're still working out a few kinks.
                        Lester Sak
                        2021 Stinger I SR-24, 1.7kw Spindle
                        FTC, Laser, Counter Balance, Gantry Lift, T-slots
                        VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X