UHaul trailer for pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UHaul trailer for pickup

We just picked up our Stinger 3 today and I thought I post this for others while it was fresh on my mind. Since we are only a few hundred miles away, we rented a UHaul pickup and 6'x12' trailer. We knew it would be a tight fit and that it had a narrow tailgate, but the legs would fit through the tailgate.. What we didn't know is the way the tailgate is made is just high enough to block the steppers (in our case servos) from easily rolling through it. Plus the side of the trailer are so high that there was only about 1/2" free on either side of the servos. Yeah, *really* tight fit.

Luckily, Camaster had extensions for their forklift and were able pick it up and over to load it.. but we still had to get it off. Once we got back to our shop, we jacked it up and put the heavy duty 3/4"-10 casters on and began unloading.

Here's the reason (tip) for this thread for anyone else who decides to rent UHaul.. probably find a different option. Lol. But if you do go this route, I'm here to tell you it can be done safely by doing the following. We unloaded it to the point we couldn't go any further because the gantry was going to hit the tailgate. Then we jacked the end up that was still on the trailer high enough where the servos would clear it and then manually pushed the gantry down the bed until the servos cleared the tailgate. It was smooth sailing after that!

Another tip is to let Camaster know you plan to install casters so they can have a chance to make sure the threads are clean. We didn't do that.

Here are a few pics from today.

Loading from above:
    pic1.jpg

REALLY tight fit!
    pic2.jpg

All loaded up. You can see the tailgate in this pic.
    pic3.jpg
    Last edited by oozeBot; 07-09-2021, 11:04 AM.

I forgot to mention the other issue with UHaul’s trailer - the tailgate cannot be removed. Luckily Camaster had fork extensions but it would have been nice to know it couldn’t be removed ahead of time..

Comment

Thanks for sharing

I am right behind you I hope - scheduled for the middle of June pick up but they have told me it will be the end of July now. I am picking mine up as well with a flatbed trailer. So I should have plenty of room - still not sure how to get the S3 off the trailer yet, so this gave me some good ideas. Good luck with getting it set up.
      Greg Dickinson
      S3 SR48, X3 package, vacuum table,4kw spindle, recoil ready
      Vcarve Pro 11, Wincnc
      Woodmizer 40 Sawmill, with Nyle Kiln
      Sawstop TS, Powermatic planner, Jointer, Drill Press
      Home shop build on our farm
      Easley, SC

Comment

Originally posted by oozeBot View Post
        I forgot to mention the other issue with UHaul’s trailer - the tailgate cannot be removed. Luckily Camaster had fork extensions but it would have been nice to know it couldn’t be removed ahead of time..
        That's not surprising...UHaul would undoubtedly have a lot of trailers with missing or damaged tailgates. That said, they do have the 6x12 without a tailgate available, too, although maybe not in all locations.

'Glad you got your new yellow monster and hope you enjoy putting it to work!
        ---
        Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
        Festool "a good collection"
        Stubby - lathe
        Oneida Cyclone
        more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
        Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
        Located Bucks County PA

Comment

Working...
        X