Process: Cutting new material to a specific thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Process: Cutting new material to a specific thickness

Okay so it's been a really long week and I'm having trouble seeing the process for this simple operation. I'm trying out a new material for some project prototyping. The product is Royal Building Products 7842 S4S Trimboard, a PVC material. The price and availability make it attractive for what I'm attempting this weekend.

I want to mill my test piece to a specific thickness (Z-axis). The material is 3/4" thick and one side has a faux woodgrain texture. I want to mill off the texture and end up with a piece 5/8" thick.

My thought process led me to my spoilboard cutter. Seems logical and with the right feeds & speeds should produce a decent finish. The problem is I'm not sure how I should generate the toolpaths to achieve the specific thickness. When I surface my spoilboard, I run a routine that shaves off a specified amount. But, in this current scenario, I want the end result to be a specified thickness.

How should I approach this problem?

edit #1 - I should have mentioned I have VCarve Pro 10.5 and I'm hoping to find a solution that either uses straight up, OG g-code or get a lesson in achieving this in VCarve Pro. I might upgrade to Aspire but that's not in the cards today.

Edit #2 - Here's the approach I used. There could be others, maybe even better ways to do this so I'm open to suggestions. I create a new VCarve project and set the material thickness to 3/4" with Z Zero on the machine bed. I created a rectangle with the appropriate offsets and overhangs necessary to get the desired effect. As far as the toolpaths, I created a pocket toolpath using my Amana RC-2241. Once I was satisfied with the on-screen toolpaths, I saved to file and verified the Z values in the .TAP file were 5/8". A single pass over the entire surface and the results are as smooth as can be expected from this material. I nailed the feeds and speeds but now my shop is full of white PVC chips. Yeah, I turned the DC on but forgot the dust shoe as I was too concerned with watching the first ramp down and cut into the material. Before I could do anything white chips everywhere! But hey, at least I was throwing chips.
    Last edited by NorthernWI; 07-16-2021, 08:04 PM.
    ---

Scott
    2020 Stinger II SR-44
    Vectric VCarve Pro 10.5
    Bricsys BricsCAD V21 Mechanical

Pocket would be my first choice. Mess is required.
    Charlie L
    Stinger II, 48 by 48, 1.7 kW Spindle, FTC + Laser + Recoil + Vacuum, July 2012
    WinCNC 2.5.03, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Comment

Yes, you did it right in Edit #2. An oversized pocket toolpath rastering the long dimension of the material and going off of the material enough where the bit doesn't stop and turn while it's over the material. As far as the PVC chips, you will find them everywhere in your shop from now until the end of time........it's part of the CNC game.
      Wes
      Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook
      Steel 5X10 Panther
      5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
      WinCNC
      VcarvePro 9.5
      15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum

Comment

The procedure I use to cut material to a specific depth:

In the project setup, set the desired finished thickness and the z-zero position to the machine bed.
        Mount the board/material to the machine
        Create a pocket toolpath using an appropriate tool and set the depth of cut to "0" (zero).
        Run the toolpath

Example: If I have a 3/4" thick board that I want to mill to 5/8" I set Aspire/VCarve material thickness to 5/8" and the z-zero position to the machine bed. Mount the material to the machine. Create a pocket toolpath slightly larger than the material and set the depth of cut to "0". The machine thinks it's skimming the top of a 5/8" board but actually cutting 1/4" off of the top.
        Steve
        Laser crosshair
        Wireless Pendant
        Aspire 10.5

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
          The procedure I use to cut material to a specific depth:

In the project setup, set the desired finished thickness and the z-zero position to the machine bed.
          Mount the board/material to the machine
          Create a pocket toolpath using an appropriate tool and set the depth of cut to "0" (zero).
          Run the toolpath

Example: If I have a 3/4" thick board that I want to mill to 5/8" I set Aspire/VCarve material thickness to 5/8" and the z-zero position to the machine bed. Mount the material to the machine. Create a pocket toolpath slightly larger than the material and set the depth of cut to "0". The machine thinks it's skimming the top of a 5/8" board but actually cutting 1/4" off of the top.
          Thats kinda clever, Steve. Im going to have to give that try...thanks!
          Joe Garber
          Retired, Hobbyist
          Stinger 1 SR24
          FTC
          Laser Pointer
          HSD 1.7kw Spindle
          Indexing Lathe
          WinCNC, Aspire 10.5, PhotoCarve
          Storm Vacuum
          drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
          1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10