Using a flash drive to transport files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Using a flash drive to transport files

I use a separate laptop to design and then use a flash drive to transport to the my Stinger II computer. Do I need to export the files to the computer before opening or can I just open from the flash drive?

Thanks,
    Terry

Transfer to computer to run tap file.

I do the same design on a separate computer. I use SyncToy a free program to sync my flash drive with the computer.
    Ed Hazel

508 Cobra ATC 15 Tools

Comment

I'm not sure if it was the WinCNC or the Camaster directions but I've seen it said explicitly to never run your tap file from a flash drive. I simply drag and drop the files between the flash drive and a folder on the machine computer.
      Cobra Elite 408, ATC, 5 hp spindle, vacuum table, 4th axis, Fusion 360

Comment

think the key is to make sure save the cut file on the wincnc computer.
        panther 508 on order

Comment

It only took once to teach me to place the tap on the desktop, run the file and delete when no longer needed. i re toolpath every time i bring up a file i have not used in some time.
          James McGrew
          CAMaster ATC 508
          The principle of Measure twice cut once has not been replaced by a CNC

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
          https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ

fixed 4-27-2020

Comment

Originally posted by james mcgrew View Post
            It only took once to teach me to place the tap on the desktop, run the file and delete when no longer needed. i re toolpath every time i bring up a file i have not used in some time.
            I do the same thing. I have Aspire on my CNC machine, and I leave the design files on a thumb drive so I can easily move them from computer to computer. I open the file in Aspire on my Cobra computer, and save the .tap file as 1.tap. EVERY file gets saved as 1.tap, so it overwrites the old one and I know its always a newly saved tap file.
            Russell Crawford
            Cobra 408 ATC with recoil
            Alberta, Canada
            www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Comment

I don't use a USB device to transfer files from my Mac to the CNC computer, but I do use OneDrive. As has been noted, it's a best practice to transfer the file(s) you want to use to the CNC computer physically before using them. Be sure to consider transferring them back to your development machine afterward, because it's kinda normal to do tweaks on the CNC Computer in many cases and you may want to retain them for future use.
              ---
              Jim Becker

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax
              Festool "a good collection"
              Stubby - lathe
              Oneida Cyclone
              more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
              Occasional commission work for others, but mostly for me...furniture/tack trunks/signage/guitars
              Located Bucks County PA

Comment

I like to transfer my .tap files to a folder labeled cut files that is rooted on my C: drive. That keeps the full file name relatively short. It doesn't happen too often but if you have a file name that is long and you have it stored in the documents folder the name can become too long for WinCNC to handle. I also keep a directory of the files I already cut inside that folder so once the file is cut I move it there. That way the only file that is in the root cut files folder is the one I am currently cutting.
                4'x8' Stinger IV w/ 4.2 hp spindle and 4 tool ATC
                Mister system
                Phenolic Vac table
                Hurricane Vac
                Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                X